• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dance Uniforms - Total nightmare + Stuck!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pete2331

Hello everyone

I am from the UK but ordered from a company based in the US so hoping I can get an answer of some sorts here as I feel like breaking down over this. Ill try and make this short.

I run a dance school, and hire coaches for all different styles etc. Many of our teams compete nationally, regularly.

We ordered £8,000 worth of uniforms from an American company that was recommended to us by another team who had nice uniforms. They were due to arrive early January 2015. Shortly after order the other team told us they were having trouble with them and to maybe reconsider but it was too late, we had ordered and paid. We ordered 3/4 months in advance of the competition season starting. The uniforms didnt arrive in time for the season, and I had hundreds of people FURIOUS at me that they paid a lot of money to show up to compete in extra expensive and beautiful uniforms, but would now have to compete in their training kit. I don't blame them. The company then told us that they would hurriedly organise another supplier to their usual to make the uniforms as they were having issues. We then paid £500 for overnight delivery from US to UK, to just get them here finally.

What turned up was absolutely unbelievable. The WORST made 'uniforms' you have ever seen. It's hard to describe how bad, but they didn't fit, had holes in the seams, they were sown so badly that they were coming undone as kids wore them etc. And were a few items short too. At this point I had stressed SO SO much that I took the box straight to the studio for everyone, and was just honest. I said I will have them replaced, with uniforms that are of good enough quality ASAP but this is what they have sent.

Fast forward, they agreed to replace them back them around February/March 2015. We're now in January 2016 and NO sign of the uniforms. We compete in a weeks time and my ENDLESS attempts to get a delivery date from the company go either ignored or I get a reply such as "We can't give you a date right now but we're trying our best, thanks for your patience." I am going to have to reveal to my parents and performers that for a SECOND year, they do not have the uniforms they paid for. People are going to be livid with me, and rightly so. I have pleaded with the company endlessly, and continue to get no clues to what date they will arrive (will they miss just the first competition of the season, or the whole season again?!) and continue to be ignored or given a non-answer. They have blocked me on all social media because I posted on there about them when they would not respond to my emails.

I feel like crying quite honestly. Obviously I don't have the money to start legal proceedings right now, and don't even know how much this would cost me, but it is certainly going to cost me reputation and business. Other dance schools all around us have ordered from a new company in the last 3/4 months and have the most beautiful uniforms ever. I can't afford to just re-order from somewhere else, and of course the company will not give any sort of refund as they say "they are going to replace, so a refund is not possible"

PLEASE. PLEASE. HELP. :(

quincy

Hello everyone

I am from the UK but ordered from a company based in the US so hoping I can get an answer of some sorts here as I feel like breaking down over this. Ill try and make this short.

I run a dance school, and hire coaches for all different styles etc. Many of our teams compete nationally, regularly.

We ordered £8,000 worth of uniforms from an American company that was recommended to us by another team who had nice uniforms. They were due to arrive early January 2015. Shortly after order the other team told us they were having trouble with them and to maybe reconsider but it was too late, we had ordered and paid. We ordered 3/4 months in advance of the competition season starting. The uniforms didnt arrive in time for the season, and I had hundreds of people FURIOUS at me that they paid a lot of money to show up to compete in extra expensive and beautiful uniforms, but would now have to compete in their training kit. I don't blame them. The company then told us that they would hurriedly organise another supplier to their usual to make the uniforms as they were having issues. We then paid £500 for overnight delivery from US to UK, to just get them here finally.

What turned up was absolutely unbelievable. The WORST made 'uniforms' you have ever seen. It's hard to describe how bad, but they didn't fit, had holes in the seams, they were sown so badly that they were coming undone as kids wore them etc. And were a few items short too. At this point I had stressed SO SO much that I took the box straight to the studio for everyone, and was just honest. I said I will have them replaced, with uniforms that are of good enough quality ASAP but this is what they have sent.

Fast forward, they agreed to replace them back them around February/March 2015. We're now in January 2016 and NO sign of the uniforms. We compete in a weeks time and my ENDLESS attempts to get a delivery date from the company go either ignored or I get a reply such as "We can't give you a date right now but we're trying our best, thanks for your patience." I am going to have to reveal to my parents and performers that for a SECOND year, they do not have the uniforms they paid for. People are going to be livid with me, and rightly so. I have pleaded with the company endlessly, and continue to get no clues to what date they will arrive (will they miss just the first competition of the season, or the whole season again?!) and continue to be ignored or given a non-answer. They have blocked me on all social media because I posted on there about them when they would not respond to my emails.

I feel like crying quite honestly. Obviously I don't have the money to start legal proceedings right now, and don't even know how much this would cost me, but it is certainly going to cost me reputation and business. Other dance schools all around us have ordered from a new company in the last 3/4 months and have the most beautiful uniforms ever. I can't afford to just re-order from somewhere else, and of course the company will not give any sort of refund as they say "they are going to replace, so a refund is not possible"

PLEASE. PLEASE. HELP. :(
In what US state is the American company based?

quincy

Hello everyone

I am from the UK but ordered from a company based in the US ...

... We ordered �8,000 worth of uniforms from an American company ... They were due to arrive early January 2015 ... The uniforms didnt arrive in time for the season ... We then paid �500 for overnight delivery from US to UK, to just get them here finally.

What turned up was ... The WORST made 'uniforms' ... And were a few items short too ... they agreed to replace them back them around February/March 2015. We're now in January 2016 and NO sign of the uniforms ...

... I don't have the money to start legal proceedings right now, and don't even know how much this would cost me, but it is certainly going to cost me reputation and business ... I can't afford to just re-order from somewhere else, and of course the company will not give any sort of refund as they say "they are going to replace, so a refund is not possible" ...
Did you have a written contract with the US-based company that outlined how disputes should be handled or that had terms of sale (including a refund policy)? If so, the terms of the contract should be personally reviewed by an attorney in your area to see how your dispute with the company needs to be handled.

I hate to tell you this but it will probably cost you more than your current losses if you decide to sue the Florida-based company. Most US companies will need to be sued in the US (unless the company has offices in the UK). And you could find it difficult to collect any of your attorney fees in the US (even if your suit was successful).

You have given this company more time to remedy the problem than you probably should have. If the uniforms were not delivered as promised in January 2015, you would have been smart to have taken action then.

That said, you could find a lawyer in your area who can send to the US company a letter threatening legal action if a refund is not received by you in X amount of days. This may (but may not) result in a refund. The US company could ignore the demand.

Good luck.

Dandy Don

How did you find out about this company--did they have a catalog or did you order from their website?

In the future, do a search on any search engine, using the company's name, and look at yelp.com to see if there are any other complaints against them.

When ordering in the future, order just one costume (or ask to be sent a sample) so you can determine the quality before placing a large order.

Can you afford to pay attorney fees to pursue a suit? Would you be willing to travel to the US to testify if you were asked to do so?

quincy

How did you find out about this company--did they have a catalog or did you order from their website?

In the future, do a search on any search engine, using the company's name, and look at yelp.com to see if there are any other complaints against them.

When ordering in the future, order just one costume (or ask to be sent a sample) so you can determine the quality before placing a large order.

Can you afford to pay attorney fees to pursue a suit? Would you be willing to travel to the US to testify if you were asked to do so?
Dandy Don has some good suggestions you should consider for the future. I would add that it can be best for you to conduct business with a company local to you or located in your own country. Problems that crop up during the transaction can be resolved easier. In addition, relying on a friend's recommendation alone can be a dangerous way financially to do business. You need to thoroughly investigate a company before placing a large order.

Although a lawsuit is potentially possible, I see several difficulties for you, not the least of which is that, to pursue a suit in the US against the Florida company, it is almost certainly going to cost you more than the (approximately) $12,000 you already have invested in the uniforms - and lawsuits are a risk. You are never guaranteed a win.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">