• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

defective greyhound buses/ hot rides

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tamarabry

I live in Vancouver Canada. This past summer, may/june of 2000, I took a trip to Az on a Greyhound bus. Everything was fine unntil we got to Los Angelas. At that time I had encountered my first problem. A man on the bus was sexually harrasing women on the bus, including myself. I dealt with the problem myself, and has him thrown off at the next stop. That was not such a bad problem. Actually the trip to Az was pretty good. The trip home however was a ride in hell. The first problem was when we waited for the bus from L.A. to Seattle. The bus was 2 & 1/2 hours late to start off. Then to top it off, the bus they gave us to ride in, had no air conditioner. I am talking about riding in a Bus that was soo crowded, the driver kept picking up passengers, and there was no place for everyone to sit. People had to be in the isles, and squished toghether. I was traveling with my now 2 year old son. We went through the hottest part of the desert during the hottest part of the afternoon and day on a bus with no air. The driver wouldn't even open windows. It smelled soo bad of sweat and body oder, I was sick. I had to hold my son in my lap, because he kept letting people on, when he should have had them wait for the next bus. We rode in these terrible conditions from LA to Seattle. I was soo sick by the time I got to Seattle I could barley walk. I suffered from severe heat exhuastion and I was very ill. I am disabled, and I had special handling tags on my bags, because I could not carry them due to my disability. I recieved no help the whole trip. In fact I had to go personally get my bags off a bus going to New Mexico while I was in LA. None of the baggage carriers would help me, so I had to drag my son, and all my luggage from the wrong bus to the right bus with no help. Otherwise my luggage wold have been lost. This is how Greyhound treats the disabled. It gets worse. In Seattle, I was in line for the bus to Vancouver, again carrying my own luggage ( with special handling tags on them for help). I was soo sick and carrying my luggage did not help the sickness I aquired on the bus. It was time to get on, and I put my bags in front of the bus for the baggage carriers to lift on to the bus, and a woman started to yell about it. She said, and I quote, " who the hell does that fat lazy bitch think she is making us put her bags on the bus for her" She then yelled at me in the bus and said "you need to come put these bags on yourself" I told her they had special handling tags and the law requires the baggage carriers to help disabled people with their luggage, and since she was a luggage carrier that was her job. She started to yell at me again, in front of all the passengers, and her superiors and co-worker, and said " your just fat and lazy, get down here and put them on yourself, I am not going to do it, I am not your servent."
Then another carrier put the luggage on for me. None of the people working there said one word to her about the way she treated me. Not only had I been subjected to severe heat exposure, but now while I was sick I had to endure total public humiliation and harassment by an employee of Greyhound. I dont have to tell you that it is called discrimination, and it is illegal to treat a passenger who is clearly disabled, and has special requirments labled clearly, in the way that that woman treated me.
I called greyhound canada when I got home to complain, and they said since the problem occured in the states, I had to deal with the company in the states. I called costomer service, and greyhound america has no toll free number for costomer service. I had to pay long distance charges to file a complaint. I did, and all I asked was for a refund of my fare. I should not have to pay for the disservice I recived. The sent me a letter, and a voucher for the total amount of my fare. I had to use the voucher for another trip. I told them when I filed the complaint that I would never travel with greyhound again. SO, I ask why would they send a voucher when I made it perfectly clear that I would never travel with them again. I also said I live in Caada, and The voucher is only good in the united states. I cant even use it. It is not valid here in Canada. I would have to cross the border to make use of this voucher. Is that satisfaction? Not at all. It makes me soo mad that they insult me by sending a worthless voucher. I would have preferred they send nothing than to insult me by the action they did take. They investigate all complaints. I had all the proper information, and they admit liability in their letter, and by attempting to settle this with their "voucher". I have contacted them by email two times and have still heard nothing from them. I called the 1 800 number, and tried to get help there, because I now have a long distance block on my phone, and can not call washington. Besides why should I pay more to deal with their incompitance? What I need is help figureing out how I can deal with this situation. At first all I wanted was my fare reimbursed, but now, I want to really push the issue, and make them accountable for the outragous discrimination, and indangerment of myself and my son by making us ride on a bus with no air. That is also illegal. In the summer months, especially in the hotter states, any public service must provide proper air conditioning. None at all is a complete violation of regulations and standards set for travel service providers.
Can anyone help me or direct me to someone who can. Noone else should ever have to go though what I did.
Thank you,
Tammy

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Please help us to help you. It appears that your post is quite lengthy. Since we want to help you, it would be appreciated, and in your interest, if you could re-write your post to shorten its length.

Some suggestions would be to remove any extra words that do not go to the heart of your question and issues. Also, if you have any emotional or editorial type words or phrases, please remove those also. In other words, be your own worst critic, and stick to the facts.

Additionally, if you haven't already done so, please use paragraphs rather than running each sentence into the next. This, alone would make your post easier to read and understand.

Thank you for your kind cooperation, and I'm sure, after you've re-posted, someone will be with you shortly to assist you.

Thanks,
IAAL

P.S. If you haven't mentioned your State name, or the State where your problem has occurred, please tell us in your first sentence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">