• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

defective laptops

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ninarato

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I bought a new laptop in OCT 2002. I don't want to confuse anyone with the repair history of this laptop, so i'll skip to right now. My laptop is now out of warranty and the graphics card has failed. I researched the problem online and I have found MANY pages of people on numerous forums with the same model (Toshiba 5105-S701) and similar models (5105-S###) that are exhibiting the same symptoms and problems that I am having. These laptops are not lasting pass 3 years! I read that Toshiba had a suit against them for the 5005 series and it exhibited similar problems (Toshiba lost). Would this be grounds for a class action suit against Toshiba?

If anyone needs more details, i'd be happy to comply.

I would hold onto the notebook with the expectation that a class action suit will be filed in the not so distant future. I am honestly surprised one has not been filed already. The 5005 series and the 5105 series are pretty much the same except for a change in processor (which apparently causes more of a heat up.) Toshiba has got slammed in the past for similar products and problems. For now just keep watching the notebook forums for notice that a suit has been filed.

Teflon not sure why you don't think a class action would win based off of the last two suits filed against Toshiba?

teflon_jones

EvilWizard said:
Teflon not sure why you don't think a class action would win based off of the last two suits filed against Toshiba?
I said I saw scant evidence to support a lawsuit based on the OP saying that the laptop has a bad graphics card. They also cited "symptoms and problems" but I saw no specifics about those in their post. Therefor I see no merit for a class action lawsuit.

If specific facts were given, and backed up with evidence, then maybe I would agree. However, I'm only here to answer poster's specific questions. They need to do their own research on the history of problems and then come back here and post more information.

Fair enough. I'm a Google junkie and wind up searching this crap all day long... Of course thats because I'm sitting on overhead at my corp. HQ and have nothing better to do right now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">