• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

defective part on a honda accord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chippermann

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? oregon Good evening i own a 2005 Honda Accord Hybryd with 136,000 miles on it. I brought it used and it is in great shape. 6 months ago Ia loud bass sounding humming starting happening when the car gets to 35mph and 55mph. I took it to a few people and shops and they could not figue it out. Finally I took it to a honda dealer in town here and after having a tech ride with me to hear the sound they figured it out as a defective Active Noise Cancellation unit. The tech said oh it will be 100.00 dollars to fix. So they order the part and when i went in to get it fixed after a hour and a half they came out and said we didnt order the right part it will be 1395.00 DOLLARS. then they proceed to shown me a servie bulletin from MARCH 24,2006 one year after the car was made about a humming sound from this unit. in the service bulletin it states that the part is FAULTY!!!!! the car is out of warranty of course so neither the dealership or honda will take any action to fix it,even though the bulletin says in black and white that it is faulty. no time was given on when the part would go bad nor was a recall done for the part. Do I have any recourse with them? if you pull the part up online there are thousands of people that went online to complain about this noise. one guy even called the local tv station and of course honda fixed it no cost after that. what are my options please thank you for your time.. Don Chambless

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? oregon ... Do I have any recourse with them? if you pull the part up online there are thousands of people that went online to complain about this noise. one guy even called the local tv station and of course Honda fixed it at no cost after that. what are my options please thank you for your time..
Have you thought about calling the local tv station on the off-chance Honda will fix it at no cost? ;)

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? oregon Good evening i own a 2005 Honda Accord Hybryd with 136,000 miles on it. I brought it used and it is in great shape. 6 months ago Ia loud bass sounding humming starting happening when the car gets to 35mph and 55mph. I took it to a few people and shops and they could not figue it out. Finally I took it to a honda dealer in town here and after having a tech ride with me to hear the sound they figured it out as a defective Active Noise Cancellation unit. The tech said oh it will be 100.00 dollars to fix. So they order the part and when i went in to get it fixed after a hour and a half they came out and said we didnt order the right part it will be 1395.00 DOLLARS. then they proceed to shown me a servie bulletin from MARCH 24,2006 one year after the car was made about a humming sound from this unit. in the service bulletin it states that the part is FAULTY!!!!! the car is out of warranty of course so neither the dealership or honda will take any action to fix it,even though the bulletin says in black and white that it is faulty. no time was given on when the part would go bad nor was a recall done for the part. Do I have any recourse with them? if you pull the part up online there are thousands of people that went online to complain about this noise. one guy even called the local tv station and of course honda fixed it no cost after that. what are my options please thank you for your time.. Don Chambless
Keep bumping it up the foodchain at Honda. :cool:

justalayman

the car is 8 years old and has 135,000 miles. Things wear out. They have no responsibility to cover this beyond the actual warranty period.

then they proceed to shown me a servie bulletin from MARCH 24,2006 one year after the car was made about a humming sound from this unit. in the service bulletin it states that the part is FAULTY!!!!!
No. It said some of them were faulty as they were apparently going bad in less than a year. Yours is 8 years old and has 135,000 miles on it. It lived a good life.

Would you expect them to warranty the engine or transmission if it wore out after 8 years and 135,000 miles?

Astrolink

Not a legal answer to your problem, but the part number of what is needed is 39200-SDR-A03, and is available from Honda online dealers for under $400. A local mechanic can install this for for very little as it's listed as .6 hour for labor, or there is an installation video at YouTube if you want to do it yourself.

At a minimum, it will save you $900 from your $1395 dealer quote.

Last edited:

sandyclaus

I see that you are not the original owner of the vehicle. The Honda website has specific requirements for the warranty to transfer to a new owner of a used Honda vehicle. Per their website (http://automobiles.honda.com/images/certified-used/downloads/HCUC-warranty-booklet.pdf[/url]):

[QUOTE]Upon the sale of the vehicle (private-party to private-party), this warranty is transferred and coverage is afforded to the new owner for the [B]balance[/B] of the 12 months or 12,000 miles (7 years/100,000 miles on the powertrain). [B]The American Honda Warranty Department should be notified of any change in ownership.[/B] A warranty transfer card (attached to this Honda Certified Warranty booklet) must be completed and sent to American Honda Motor to effect the warranty transfer.[/QUOTE]

As for what to do about this, it says on the referenced Service Bulletin, if your vehicle is out of warranty, any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work.

I suggest that you contact the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone office to see if they will cover it, but given that you probably didn't register the ownership/warranty transfer as required, you can expect that they probably won't. There's also the very real possibility that the problem isn't a faulty part, but a part that simply wore out after 8 years use and wear-and-tear. You don't even know if the part had already been replaced or not. There is a certain level of responsibility that you accept when you buy a used vehicle, and especially when it already has over 136,000 miles on it.

sandyclaus

...Would you expect them to warranty the engine or transmission if it wore out after 8 years and 135,000 miles?
Unqualified yes.

DC
And you'd have unrealistic expectations, DC.

According to that warranty page I referenced in my previous post, the vehicle only has a 7-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty based upon the ORIGINAL buyer's new vehicle registration date. OP's vehicle is out of warranty in both respects.

TigerD

And you'd have unrealistic expectations, DC.

According to that warranty page I referenced in my previous post, the vehicle only has a 7-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty based upon the ORIGINAL buyer's new vehicle registration date. OP's vehicle is out of warranty in both respects.
The question was would I expect them to warranty an engine for 8 years. Yes. Mechanically, the engines in today's cars should be good for decades. I would expect them to warrantee the motor.

However, I also realize they will not.

DC

sandyclaus

The question was would I expect them to warranty an engine for 8 years. Yes. Mechanically, the engines in today's cars should be good for decades. I would expect them to warrantee the motor.

However, I also realize they will not.

DC
Ahhh, yes. Have the expectation, but know the reality. Gotcha. ;) ;)

OHRoadwarrior

Sorry DonnyBoy, Honda cars do not come with a lifetime warranty. If you want your car to always be under warranty, buy a new one and keep trading up every few years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">