• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Depakote Lawsuit ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrshaw

What is the name of your state? West Virginia

I have been taking depakote since 1999 and have only recently been made aware of all of the possible side effects reactions that one could have while using Depakote. In 2001 I gave birth to stillborn twins and again in 2003 I gave birth to a baby boy whio died from heart complications just over a month later. Now I have been told that my using depakote could have been the cause of both of these tragedies. I have also suffered from several other side effects of this drug including weight gain and an attempted suicide.I am bi-polar with manic depression and have also been diagnosed with PTSD ( according to one doctor, the most severe case she has seen in over 30 years).
I need to know before I take any action on this does anyone out there think I have a case ?.
thank you.
I am a female, age 41.

xylene

In 2001 I gave birth to stillborn twins and again in 2003 I gave birth to a baby boy whio died from heart complications just over a month later. Now I have been told that my using depakote could have been the cause of both of these tragedies.
I am sorry about your tragedies. That is terrible.

Who told you the depakote caused this. Do you have proof? Depakote is classed in a preganacy risk group amonst the lowest for a prescription drug and is not contraindicated in pregnant and nursing women Do you have medical diagnosis of this fetal and newborn harm.

I have also suffered from several other side effects of this drug including weight gain and an attempted suicide.
Weight gain is a common, known and manageable side effect of depakote and other anti-convulsants. Experiencing weight gain, even DRAMATIC weight gain on such medications does not prove, in itself a problematic event, and certainly not medical malpractice.

Suicidal attempts and suicidal ideation are a function of these medical disorders. Breakthru episode are common, even in the best managed patients. Your condition is diagnosed as 'severe' and of you must know that your risk of these behaviors is much higher than the general population and even within those who share your diagnosis. You did not succeed, so med intervention was successful. You need to continue treatment plan compliance to ensure it remains that way.

I am bi-polar with manic depression and have also been diagnosed with PTSD ( according to one doctor, the most severe case she has seen in over 30 years).
I need to know before I take any action on this does anyone out there think I have a case?
Only a med-mal attorney could give you probabilities. I do think that the 5 years between now and the birth may be problematic.

I also urge you to remain med compliant.

bart260

We are discusing a lawsuit over our child

Our child was born with Valproic Acid (Depakote) Syndrome, he is severely retard, etc etc and we are looking into a lawsuit against Abbott right now, it is a horrible drug and they need to know about it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have no idea why people on this site are so rude. I signed on about an hour ago looking for information and now I'm being harrassed by several persons. You will be reported. I will also unsubscribe. I am an attorney who is not currently practicing but I am licensed in CA, D.C. and pending in NY. I am ill. I pick up pro bono work from time to time and have knowledge re: many prescription drugs and consumer protection laws. I am not looking to make money, I was simply looking for information and, if I can, provide information - for free. Do you have any idea what an attorney charges per hour to give this type of advice? You should be ashamed. I hope you learned at least one lesson from this reply and my other reply re: Zigner, it doesn't pay to be mean. Just a smile and nice comment to a passerby can make all the difference in the world to him/her. Make an effort, it will give you a good feeling too.
Scollyer - your first post on this forum was a solicitation. That is expressly against the TOS for this site. I reported your post because of the solicitation. I don't expect you to be around too long.

As for jrshaw - did you miss the fact that the thread was 10 months old? :rolleyes:

I am glad that you don't practice - I'm sure it saves many people much money.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Whoever left the "funny" message, I totally appreciate it as I've received bizarre angry emails and other posts in the few hours I signed up and it's nice to head to sleep on a positive note. I'm unsubscribing first thing in the morning. It's super late (early) here in NY and my puppy will likely wake me in a few hours. Best wishes in the new year.
Good night - don't worry about unsubscribing. You will be banned for solicitation

lealea1005

From Susan:
Not sure how/why I'm replying to this quote - hopefully my words do not blend into yours. I am so tired, but I have to respond before I go to sleep because you are completely misrepresenting everything I said and misinterpreting my lack of knowledge regarding the website as some kind of conspiracy. Seriously, Ziggie, do you stay up all night policing this website? Why do you even care if I was soliciting if I'm doing pro bono work? What is your problem? Maybe you misunderstood, I am not practicing in a law firm but I take cases on a pro bono (for free, in case you are unfamiliar) basis when I can for those who are appreciative. That being said, my first comment was not a solicitation for legal services. I wanted to communicate with this woman about medical issues as I am studying medicine right now. You know nothing about me. You are completely out of line and need to take it down a notch as I've seen many other complaints about you. If I did not notice when the jrshaw message was posted that should have clued you in to the fact that I am brand new to the site and was simply looking for information. My eyes are crossed right now, as much as I'm enjoying your personal attacks (to a person you know nothing about) I need to log off and get some sleep. Please know Zig, this was a simple search turned into a fiasco. I simply wanted info and to possibly help someone. I can't understand how many different things you're chastising me about - is it solicitation? unfamiliarity with google? not reading fine print when plugging in a term? All such horrific acts! Anyway, Zig, stop worrying so much about conspiracies - there are good people out there, it's not worth wasting the energy on anger. It's just not healthy. You might want to think about ending the obsession with this site. No worries about hearing from me, I'm unsubscribing, as I mentioned to you earlier. You are correct, I will not be on the site for long, I specifically told you earlier I'm unsubscribing so what are you worried about? Also, I find it hilarious how you reported me after I told you I reported you. You're too much Zig, really, too much...
Oh joy! Just what we need. :rolleyes:

Rule#1 of medical school: know when you've had too much caffeine ;)

ecmst12

A senior member is someone who has spent lots of time helping people here by answering many questions. This is not the "warm fuzzy advice" site, it's the LEGAL advice site, and some people need a wake up call not a hug. If you're going to unsubscribe, no need to wait until the morning, you can do it any time, or just stop coming here!

bart260

Why not leave scollyer alone?

Out of all you sapposed attorneys, she is the first to offer any information to us. We have seen not so much as a simple question about our personal lives until she came along, and you guys want to chastize her for it.

I would be willing to bet the only reason for this website in the first place is souly based on cherry picking the easiest cases you can find, especcially ones with known settlements where you can take yours 'off the top' by simply linking an otherwise unknowing person to a lawsuit that is rightly theirs in the first place.

We came here out of frustration, and concern about what this drug does, and you guys have been just to busy to even ackowledge us.

Thanks for nothing

ecmst12

She wasn't trying to help you, she was just looking for posts from Zigner to pick on.

Experiencing a known side effect of a medication does not equate to malpractice, and even if it did, you missed the applicable statute of limitations many years ago.

bart260

???

You know not what you are talking about, sir. My wife has Epilepsy, and as her seizures increased the O.B., not the M.D. advised to increase her dosing. Though they were in contact with each other, i.e. forwarded information.
This was also in 1992 when the effects were known by the maker, but not generally by the medical community. The medicines bottle made NO mention about its fetal effects, as it does today.....and if you think for one second that we were informed about what could happen from a DRUG, you couldn't be any more wrong as we WOULD be less one child at this time.

By the way, the state of Colorado allows you until the child is 18....better brush up on those law books sonny!

lealea1005

An OB IS an MD.

What would have been your wife's alternative without the depakote and how would that have affected HER health and wellbeing?

ETA: In 1992, Depakote WAS the appropriate medication for her seizures.

Last edited:

ecmst12

What child? When dealing with a death, the SOL begins to run on the date of the death.

Oh wait, you are not the original poster, you are someone who hijacked his thread. Start your own thread if you have a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">