• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dfective Notebook

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arj522

What is the name of your state? CA

I own an Inspiron 5150 Dell notebook. it overheats, and get real hot. my wife used it the other day for 15 mins, and left a red scar on her lap/thighs. i did not take a pix of it! i contacted Dell, Inc. about this, and asked if i can get a new replacement machine. instead, this is what they replied bak with...

...: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2007 1:13 PM
To:
Subject: RE: Replace my notebook

Dear Mr. AJ,

I am contacting you on behalf of Dell Inc in response to your e-mails to Dell Inc. regarding your Inspiron 5150. Please accept my sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experienced with your Dell Inspiron 5150.

Due to concerns expressed by Dell customers pertaining to the possible overheating of Dell Inspiron 5150's, Dell has entered into an agreement with the United States Court for the Northern District of California and includes all individuals and entities who currently own a Dell Inspiron 5150 notebook. This Class Action settlement, called the Lundell Settlement, is currently in place and provides repairs on Dell Inspiron 5150's with specific heat related or power issues. Please understand that Dell must adhere to the strict guidelines set forth by the court. For additional information regarding the Lundell Settlement, please visit the Lundell Settlement website at:

www.lundellsettlement.com

While I certainly regret your current technical difficulties, I am unable to find any circumstances that would warrant a system exchange. Your system does not show a history of any hardware failures, and Dell Inc does not appear to have had the opportunity to address any of your current problems. Per the terms of the settlement, Dell will provide you with service and repair of your Inspiron 5150 to replace the necessary hardware. Please contact me directly to confirm the address and telephone number where you wish the service to take place.

For future use of your Dell system, please allow me to clarify Mr. AJ, that all of our Inspiron and Latitude systems are considered "portable" systems. As technology has advanced rapidly, component size has decreased while power has increased. Consequently, portable systems have become smaller, faster, and lighter in weight. As a result, the heat a portable unit produces is much more noticeable. When using your portable system, it should be placed on a hard, flat surface to allow air circulation and not directly on the users lap.

Thank you for your patience in this matter, and again, I truly regret any inconvenience or frustration you may have been caused. We value you as our customer, Mr. AJ, and your satisfaction is very important to us. If you have any further questions or concerns regarding the repair of your system, please feel free to contact me directly at 1-800-624-9897, extension 723-9429 or via reply to this e-mail. Should you have questions or concerns regarding the Lundell Settlement or the terms contained therein, please contact the Lundell Class Administrator indicated on the Lundell Settlement website.

Sincerely,

Kathryn Davis
Executive Support Case Manager / Lundell Case Manager
North Americas Consumer Contact Center
Dell Inc.
Phone: 800.624.9897 Ext: 723-9429

i really would like get the machine replaced with a new 1. any advice if i have a case against dell, inc? thanks..aJWhat is the name of your state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You have to give Dell the chance to fix it before you can even *think* of getting them to replace it.

BL

What is the name of your state? CA

I own an Inspiron 5150 Dell notebook. it overheats, and get real hot. my wife used it the other day for 15 mins, and left a red scar on her lap/thighs. i did not take a pix of it! i contacted Dell, Inc. about this, and asked if i can get a new replacement machine. instead, this is what they replied bak with...

...: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2007 1:13 PM
To:
Subject: RE: Replace my notebook

Dear Mr. AJ,

I am contacting you on behalf of Dell Inc in response to your e-mails to Dell Inc. regarding your Inspiron 5150. Please accept my sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experienced with your Dell Inspiron 5150.

Due to concerns expressed by Dell customers pertaining to the possible overheating of Dell Inspiron 5150's, Dell has entered into an agreement with the United States Court for the Northern District of California and includes all individuals and entities who currently own a Dell Inspiron 5150 notebook. This Class Action settlement, called the Lundell Settlement, is currently in place and provides repairs on Dell Inspiron 5150's with specific heat related or power issues. Please understand that Dell must adhere to the strict guidelines set forth by the court. For additional information regarding the Lundell Settlement, please visit the Lundell Settlement website at:

www.lundellsettlement.com

While I certainly regret your current technical difficulties, I am unable to find any circumstances that would warrant a system exchange. Your system does not show a history of any hardware failures, and Dell Inc does not appear to have had the opportunity to address any of your current problems. Per the terms of the settlement, Dell will provide you with service and repair of your Inspiron 5150 to replace the necessary hardware. Please contact me directly to confirm the address and telephone number where you wish the service to take place.

For future use of your Dell system, please allow me to clarify Mr. AJ, that all of our Inspiron and Latitude systems are considered "portable" systems. As technology has advanced rapidly, component size has decreased while power has increased. Consequently, portable systems have become smaller, faster, and lighter in weight. As a result, the heat a portable unit produces is much more noticeable. When using your portable system, it should be placed on a hard, flat surface to allow air circulation and not directly on the users lap.

Thank you for your patience in this matter, and again, I truly regret any inconvenience or frustration you may have been caused. We value you as our customer, Mr. AJ, and your satisfaction is very important to us. If you have any further questions or concerns regarding the repair of your system, please feel free to contact me directly at 1-800-624-9897, extension 723-9429 or via reply to this e-mail. Should you have questions or concerns regarding the Lundell Settlement or the terms contained therein, please contact the Lundell Class Administrator indicated on the Lundell Settlement website.

Sincerely,

Kathryn Davis
Executive Support Case Manager / Lundell Case Manager
North Americas Consumer Contact Center
Dell Inc.
Phone: 800.624.9897 Ext: 723-9429

i really would like get the machine replaced with a new 1. any advice if i have a case against dell, inc? thanks..aJWhat is the name of your state?

You will have to give the repairs a try first :

On August 16, 2006, the parties entered into a settlement agreement granting relief to a class consisting of all individuals and entities in the United States who own or have owned a Dell Inspiron 5150 notebook computer.

Within the next month, members of the class should receive an official notice explaining the exact terms of the settlement. These terms are subject to final approval by the United States District Court for the Northern District of California. In general terms, the settlement includes an extended one-year limited warranty for the following “Qualifying Repairs”:

Repairs to resolve messaging code M1004, which is a message that the 5150 is programmed to display if it shuts down to prevent system damage;
Heat sink replacements;
AC adapter replacements necessary to resolve “insufficient power” and “cannot identify power source” messages; and
Motherboard replacements that are necessary to resolve “no power” or “shutdown” situations.
The settlement also entitles individuals or entities who have spent for repairs of the 5150 to reimbursement, inclusive of shipping and actual repair costs, whether from Dell or third parties.

JustAPal00

If you look at the bottom of your computer you will notice a bunch of vent holes. The reason he says you are supposed to set it on a flat surface is to allow air to flow in and out of the housing through those holes. All computers will run hotter than normal if you place them in your lap.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">