• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dishwasher flooded my house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

help2006

What is the name of your state? california

Our 3 years GE dishwasher flooded our floor and Best Buy technicial found was due to faulty water valve.

Although our home insurance company is paying for all repair. Should GE will liable for the suffering from this incidence to my family as it took more than 6 weeks to fix the flooring and water damage repair and we have to live in our house in this period without flooring

help2006

my dishwasher flooded my floor

I bought 5 years performence warranty from Best Buy at the time of purchase and it is still in performence warranty(3rd year). For the water damage claim, I did call Best Buy first and they forwarded my clain to GE Insurance.

I do have Best Buy as well as GE claim no. and proof of faulty part replacement by Best Buy.

racer72

Typical response to suing big company.

Gather up a bunch of money and hire an attorney. None will touch something like this on a contingency basis.

Wait 2 or 3 years for case to be heard.

Gather up some more money, your attorney's new bride wants to honeymoon in Tazmania.

Case is finally heard and defense attorney's make you look like a fool.

Win the case, get a few bucks back and expect the bad guys to continue what they are doing.

Lose the case, your out a bunch of money and expect the bad guys to continue what they are doing.

justalayman

Have you bothered to read your "additional performance warranty" (not a manufacturers warranty) and see all the liability disclaimers?

What is the time period of the actual manufacturers warranty? What does this warranty state as to incedental damages?

weenor

justalayman said:
Have you bothered to read your "additional performance warranty" (not a manufacturers warranty) and see all the liability disclaimers?

What is the time period of the actual manufacturers warranty? What does this warranty state as to incedental damages?
Since OP has not returned let's predict. The GE warranty was a one year limited parts and labor warranty the contained all of the usual disclaimers about implied warranties and a clause disavowing consequential damages. Furthermore, even if there were a breach of contract/warranty claim available, in general mental anguish damages are not recoverable for such claims.

justalayman

weenor said:
Since OP has not returned let's predict. The GE warranty was a one year limited parts and labor warranty the contained all of the usual disclaimers about implied warranties and a clause disavowing consequential damages. Furthermore, even if there were a breach of contract/warranty claim available, in general mental anguish damages are not recoverable for such claims.
Hi weenor,

I am aware of your response being correct. I just wanted the OP to realize that the warranty they are dealing with actually has nothing to do with the actual manufacturers warranty. It is nothing more than an insurance policy.

I think they really need to read what they sign. If they did, they would have realized this.

If any consequential damages would be covered (which they actually may) it is in the policy they bought. Although I'm sure it would be limited to actual physical damages, even with that in mind, the actual damages may still not be covered, even though it is as the OP claims. (claim number & BB guy stating "defective part"). The OP need to realize that things do wear out and may cause incedental damages that are simply part of life and not recoverable.

and for me, I wanted to know how much they thought being forced to live in home without any flooring was worth but that is just my odd curiosity coming into play.

BlondiePB

Originally Posted by justalayman

and for me, I wanted to know how much they thought being forced to live in home without any flooring was worth but that is just my odd curiosity coming into play.
I was wondering that too. Do y'all suppose the suffering is worth a buck two eighty or would that be a buck to eighty?

weenor

justalayman said:
Hi weenor,

I am aware of your response being correct. I just wanted the OP to realize that the warranty they are dealing with actually has nothing to do with the actual manufacturers warranty. It is nothing more than an insurance policy.

I think they really need to read what they sign. If they did, they would have realized this.

If any consequential damages would be covered (which they actually may) it is in the policy they bought. Although I'm sure it would be limited to actual physical damages, even with that in mind, the actual damages may still not be covered, even though it is as the OP claims. (claim number & BB guy stating "defective part"). The OP need to realize that things do wear out and may cause incedental damages that are simply part of life and not recoverable.

J- wasn't trying to correct you or anything...you were on the right track. As far as the floor, IF consequential or incidental damages were not specifically disclaimed OP would get the cost of replacement or repair of the floor. Being "forced to live without a floor" would be akin to mental anguish damages that as a general rule, are not recoverable in breach of contract or warranty actions. The only exception I know of is the mental anguish allowed under Alabama law for breach of warranty associated with the purchase of a new home. Two weeks ago I attended a seminar that discussed issues related to construction lawsuits and the attorneys I talked with were shocked that this was allowed in Alabama. ;)

justalayman

weenor said:
J- wasn't trying to correct you or anything...you were on the right track. ;) ;)
I know. I was trying to not come across as defensive, maybe it didn;t work. All is well with me.;)

Maybe they could get enough to buy some new slippers to pwotect their widdle feeties:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">