• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dr. Telling Lies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Parotidectomy

Before undergoing a parotidectomy, I interviewed two surgeons. Damage to the facial nerve is a risk of the surgery and I wanted to know if they had ever performed this surgery where it resulted in their patient having permanent damage to the nerve. The surgeon I chose told me "no, he had one patient that experienced temporary nerve damage that lasted 6 months." I kept notes of the conversations.

The surgeon accidently cut my facial nerve leaving me with Bells Palsy type problems. Can't blink or smile on one side. Surgical report indicates he cut the nerve.

He had warned me of the risks of the surgery but, here is my gripe: Since the surgery he started telling me about his other patients that have had their nerve cut on how they deal with it. With each visit I learn about more and more of his patients he has messed up.

Do I have a case from the standpoint he lied to get my business and I made a decision to go with him based on those lies?

vrzirn

And how many did the other surgeon tell you about? That is a risky surgery and the nerve is buried deep within the gland and difficult to dissect out. You knew the risk and what was your alternative.? My opinion; no case. Perhaps in time the nerve will regenerate.

S

shaalee

Several yeaars ago, my mother was evaluated for this surgery due to a blockage in a parotid gland, which thankfully resolved with the x-ray exam. The surgeon told us at the time of her initial evaluation that the risk of severing the facial nerve was "astronomical". I think, therefore, to have several (or many)patients that suffered this impairment is not unreasonable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">