• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

effexor- do i have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

currious

colorado- I attempted suicide as a minor while taking effexor at age 16. i was hospitalized. I am now 22 and i recently found out that effexor is associated with provoking these behaviors in youths. I have read the limit for reporting injury in colorado is 2 years. my question is: since the discoveries of effexor's adverse effects were recent, does the statute apply to the 2 years after their discovery of these effects?... or are the people who sustained injury due to their drug back in its hay day sol? do I have a case?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Don't think you have a case.
From the FDA website:
"Suicidal thoughts or actions: Persons taking Effexor may be more likely to think about killing themselves or actually try to do so, especially when Effexor is first started or the dose is changed. People close to persons taking Effexor can help by paying attention to changes in user’s moods or actions. Contact your healthcare professional right away if someone using Effexor talks about or shows signs of killing him or herself. If you are taking Effexor yourself and you start thinking about killing yourself, tell your healthcare professional about this side effect right away."
http://www.fda.gov/CDER/drug/InfoSheets/patient/venlafaxinePIS.htm

From the NIH website:
"You should know that your mental health may change in unexpected ways when you take venlafaxine or other antidepressants even if you are an adult over age 24. You may become suicidal, especially at the beginning of your treatment and any time that your dose is increased or decreased. You, your family, or your caregiver should call your doctor right away if you experience any of the following symptoms: new or worsening depression; thinking about harming or killing yourself, or planning or trying to do so; extreme worry; agitation; panic attacks; difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep; aggressive behavior; irritability; acting without thinking; severe restlessness; and frenzied abnormal excitement. Be sure that your family or caregiver knows which symptoms may be serious so they can call the doctor when you are unable to seek treatment on your own."
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a694020.html

xylene

colorado- I attempted suicide as a minor while taking effexor at age 16. i was hospitalized. I am now 22 and i recently found out that effexor is associated with provoking these behaviors in youths.
An association is not a causal relationship.

While it is remotely possible that you were taking effexor for some other medical reason besides psychiatric treatment for a serious mental health problem...

Serious mental health problems also provoke suicidal behavior.

I have read the limit for reporting injury in colorado is 2 years. my question is: since the discoveries of effexor's adverse effects were recent, does the statute apply to the 2 years after their discovery of these effects?...
The discoveries are not new.

The use of anti-depressants causing an initial up-tick of suicidal ideation and behavior upon initial application, espeically in drug naive patients. This is why patients are closely monitored early in treatment.

or are the people who sustained injury due to their drug back in its hay day sol? do I have a case?
What injuries did you sustain?

What permanent damages was caused?

Those are not rhetorical questions - if you have no damages you have a weak case.

Side effects...

That is a side effect of the medication. It is the responsibility of the perosn taking the drug and the doctor to inform the patient of any severe side effects, and to contact them immediately if they occur.
I took Celebrex and went into hypertension. My blood pressure sky rocketed and I had migraines. I had a CT scan on my head. Then my primary physician said to try stopping the Celebrex and that ended the problem.
Pharmacists will also tell you adverse side effects to take note of. READ, READ the paperwork that goes with any new med. Sorry that happened to you.
Talk therapy is good for anyone with depression or anxiety issues, in addition to medication. It is a trial and error issue, one does not work, on to the next. Good luck~

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">