• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

expired baby formula

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tanless

What is the name of your state? Tennessee
I purchased 6 cans of baby formula from Kroger last week. After feeding one can to my baby I saw that 3 of the cans had expired in January including the one I fed my baby. Kroger has offered me $100 but this amount seems small to me since my baby did get sick, vomiting and stomach cramps, and our pediatrician was consulted. What would be a reasonable amount for Kroger to pay?

J

JackSchroder

Why bot senbd copies of your pediatrician's bills and whatever other costs you accrued as a result of your baby's illness. The matter is not worth much more than that.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

tanless said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee
I purchased 6 cans of baby formula from Kroger last week. After feeding one can to my baby I saw that 3 of the cans had expired in January including the one I fed my baby. Kroger has offered me $100 but this amount seems small to me since my baby did get sick, vomiting and stomach cramps, and our pediatrician was consulted. What would be a reasonable amount for Kroger to pay?

My response:

Expired canned goods, such as you purchased, do not "turn to poison". The expiration date is merely an indication of when such goods lose their "potency" or their efficacy as promised by the label - - but, the goodness or the flavor are not completely lost either. It's just that the "maximum" benefit may not be there. Did you know that expired formula are also sent to third world nations?

Also, if there's any "fault" to be had, then you as the consumer must take some of this blame too. You see, those dates are also there for YOU to read too!

So, since you're also at fault, and it's difficult to medically say WITH MEDICAL CERTAINTY that your child suffered damages as you stated as the result of the expired formula, I would think that $100.00 is very much on the generous side.

Take the money and run.

IAAL

CMSC

Just out of curiousity, was it powdered or already mixed formula?

Edit: I wasn't done!LOL Is this the same type of formula you always use, brand, consistancy etc.? What did your doctor say?

enjay

I agree that the $100 offer was generous. Your child wasn't harmed by sealed formula that was less than 3 months out of date. Formula that expires on 1/31 doesn't magically become harmful on 2/1.

HomeGuru

ryry's mom said:

Edit: I wasn't done!LOL Is this the same type of formula you always use, brand, consistancy etc.? What did your doctor say?

**A: my take is that it is the already mixed stuff like Isomil and Similac that you just open the can and pour the can in the baby bottle. That's why I only drink breast milk. I have never seen an expiration date on a breast. But once I saw a butterfly tatoo.

CMSC

HomeGuru said:
ryry's mom said:

**A: my take is that it is the already mixed stuff like Isomil and Similac that you just open the can and pour the can in the baby bottle. That's why I only drink breast milk. I have never seen an expiration date on a breast. But once I saw a butterfly tatoo.
Actually if the breast milk isn't used right away it does expire!:) But I know what you are daying, sick man!

I do think the poster should take her $100 and run! Of course she could have taken the cans that were un opened back to the store and exchanged them!

ellencee

HomeGuru

I hope she wasn't a pretty brunette and in the Air Force! That's my daughter!

JETX

Nope, not her. The one that I so fondly remember was 'left', with blue wings and spots of red and yellow.

Come to think of it.... I was looking in the mirror at the time.

:)

hbug88

Ok, Monday June, 4 2012 I run out of my WIC and the office is closed, so I go to Wal-Mart and buy 2 - 4 pk of Parent's Choice Advance ready made 6oz. my son drank 2 and they were expired--- April 2012. The exp date was one the bottom of the bottles btw. I discovered this when I opened one from the other pack and it look and smelled different. Only one of the packs was expired. My son has been sick for the past 30ish hours and counting now.... He's going to the dr first thing in the morning. We went to the WIC office again today, 6/5/12, and I informed them of what had happened, I was given a pediatrician form and she personally said I might want to seek legal advice.

sandyclaus

Ok, Monday June, 4 2012 I run out of my WIC and the office is closed, so I go to Wal-Mart and buy 2 - 4 pk of Parent's Choice Advance ready made 6oz. my son drank 2 and they were expired--- April 2012. The exp date was one the bottom of the bottles btw. I discovered this when I opened one from the other pack and it look and smelled different. Only one of the packs was expired. My son has been sick for the past 30ish hours and counting now.... He's going to the dr first thing in the morning. We went to the WIC office again today, 6/5/12, and I informed them of what had happened, I was given a pediatrician form and she personally said I might want to seek legal advice.
You aren't going to get an answer to your question by necroposting and hijacking/reviving a dead thread from OVER 9 YEARS AGO.

Start your own thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">