• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extreme measures to remove a bike lock

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Savager

What is the name of your state? England, UK

I bought a bike lock from Halfords, a well-known and respected retailer. I have only had it for a month and I have looked after and used it properly. I locked the bike to a bike rack and I now I cannot remove it because the lock has jammed. I am having to ask staff of my university science site to remove it with an electric saw, as it is far too thick too cut through with bolt-clippers.

Bearing in mind that I am in this case lucky for having easy access to an electric saw when I could have parked it miles away from anywhere.

I'm aware that is a US law forum, but assuming the law is the same on this matter, I'd like to know if the company have broken any laws with a product defection like this.

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

Savager said:
What is the name of your state? England, UK

I bought a bike lock from Halfords, a well-known and respected retailer. I have only had it for a month and I have looked after and used it properly. I locked the bike to a bike rack and I now I cannot remove it because the lock has jammed. I am having to ask staff of my university science site to remove it with an electric saw, as it is far too thick too cut through with bolt-clippers.

Bearing in mind that I am in this case lucky for having easy access to an electric saw when I could have parked it miles away from anywhere.

I'm aware that is a US law forum, but assuming the law is the same on this matter, I'd like to know if the company have broken any laws with a product defection like this.
The laws are not the same, thus the big, bold "US LAW ONLY" notice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">