• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Faulty Tires almost causing a bad accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

islandgirl1956

Georgia
I hope you can help me. I bought a tire from Tire Depot in McDonough,Ga. Before a week had passed it started losing air, before I could get it back up there the entire tire just exploded. They refused to come to where I was (just at their exit) making me drive on my rim, they put another tire on but were rude to me. The replacement tire was put on Aug. 14, which has only been a little over a week. Yesterday I was on I-75 and all of a sudden the tire just fell apart, by the time I could get the car stopped it had badly damaged the front left side of my car. It is bent, metal pushed back, the entire left front fender is ruined, my hood is warped, and my headlight is damaged. This is clear negligence on their part, I think they should have to pay for fixing my car because it was not my fault. I also could have been killed or seriously injured, I am so upset. I hope you can help me to make Tire Depot responsible for what has happened to my car. They claim they are not responsible, I trusted that what I bought from them was reliable. Please let me know if you can help me.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Wow, two blow-outs in a couple of weeks time - that sucks.

Glad you weren't injured.

With that out of the way...what proof do you have that the tires were defective?

I hope you can help me to make Tire Depot responsible for what has happened to my car.

Please let me know if you can help me.
If the company refuses to voluntarily pay for the damages, then you must sue. I'm not sure what kind of help you are trying to get here, however. Nobody here can sue the company on your behalf. You must either handle it yourself, or hire a lawyer. What exactly is your legal question?

racer72

I am going to take a guess and say the 2 tires were both used. New tires would have been covered under a manufacturers warranty.

Sophistry

Sorry this happened to you. You can turn this into your auto ins co and they should pay the damage caused by the blow-out.

I don't think that it's financially worth it to chase the tire value. A couple of nasty letters or complaints with a state agency may do the trick.

racer72

Sorry this happened to you. You can turn this into your auto ins co and they should pay the damage caused by the blow-out.

I don't think that it's financially worth it to chase the tire value. A couple of nasty letters or complaints with a state agency may do the trick.
Wrong on both counts. Insurance companies do not fix damage caused by equipment failures. New tires do not fail in a manner described by the OP, used tires are purchased as is, no state agency is going to do anything about this.

Zigner

And, new or used, this could have been just a case of bad luck (ie: road debris, etc.)

LdiJ

I am thinking you are on the right track;)
I am not sure why you are so sure of that. There are tire recalls now and then for faulty tires. I remember Firestone having a major recall some years back. Therefore its obviously possible for tires to be faulty.

Also, I just perused Tire Depot's website and they certify their used tires to be safe.

Sophistry

Wrong on both counts. Insurance companies do not fix damage caused by equipment failures. New tires do not fail in a manner described by the OP, used tires are purchased as is, no state agency is going to do anything about this.
I have to disagree with you on this. In my experience, the ins co will not pay for the equipment that failed but will pay for resultant damage, usually under the comprehensive coverage. However, it is true that different carriers interpret the policies different. Worth a shot though.

As far as the state agencies, you are correct that used is "as is" but the complaint itself may prompt them to resolve it, especially given the small amount claimed.

Zigner

I have to resort to shouting.

WHAT PROOF IS THERE THAT THE TIRES WERE FAULTY?????

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">