• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

g

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bkny

Negligence? what can I do?

What is the name of your state? NY....Hi I recently purchased a blood glucose monitor from a large chain drug store.. ( glucose meter pricks finger to test blood sugar) just incase you didn't know. I was in a rush so as soon as I got to my car I opend the box and checked my blood sugar, when I was finished I realized that the box had been opened, possibly used by someone else. At the bottom of the box I found the person who returned it prescription test strips. Now I am totally freaking out, because it is possible to spread hep b via this device. I even found reports on CDC website advising against sharing this device because of the possibility of contamination. I called the chain store main customer hotline to complain and within twenty minutes they had someone at the store to investigate. The rep didn't know how this could happen because they don't resell glucose monitors that have been returned. Any way, we determined that it had been bought and opened and returned to the store but instead of discarding it, some brainiac retaped the box and put it out to be resold with the other persons name and everything inside the box. so what do I do now? they have potentially exposed me to hep b and God knows what else. Now I have to worry for the next six months that I could have a disease. Is this negligence? Is there any legal action that I can take? FYI the chain store rep even called the person to find out if they have any medical issues that I should be concerned about. She only said that she didn't use the meter, but how do I know this is true? What should I do....thanks

Last edited:

janedoe23

You should be using a new test strip which would contain no blood and you're using a new lancet (at least let's hope so) which hasn't been used. So tell us where exactly would you possibly getting infected with hep b come into play?

bkny

The spring loaded device that holds the lancet....that is why it should not be used between patients... I am a nurse and nurses must use disposable lancets and lancet holders, so that we don't spread diseases between our patients. It is a fact that Hep B can be spread by sharing of the lancet holder device. That is why they don't resell used ones... hope this helps..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">