• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GPS Car Device Malfunction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tbrandli

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas. I have a device on my vehicle that the finance company uses to disable if payments are not made. Payments are always up to date. Car wouldn't start so took to shop. Starter/Alternator tested. GPS device came up in conversation with repair shop so we called finance company to confirm there were no issues. They sent signal but car still wouldn't start. We authorized work to be done with $800 parts & labor for the only other thing that it could be. Ordered part from BMW in Germany. Shop installed but car still won't start. Spoke to finance company again. After much discussion that determined it had to be the GPS device malfunction. They indicated that it was covered with the dealership where we bought car since they installed and contract indicates they provide the replacement/maintenance. They called dealership and got no response. They forwarded my file to their legal team. I tried calling dealership and spoke to a very nice person in finance department. They said I would get a call back after investigation. No return call. When I try to contact them, they avoid and still won't call back. Question is who is responsible for $800 in repairs if device is faulty? We are thinking the manufacturer of device. AND how to get dealership to respond? Is this consumer law? We want to work with finance company with their legal team and hire an attorney on our end. I'm dropping letter off today giving them 24 hours to respond with a follow-up certified mail of same letter. Any other advice?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas. I have a device on my vehicle that the finance company uses to disable if payments are not made. Payments are always up to date. Car wouldn't start so took to shop. Starter/Alternator tested. GPS device came up in conversation with repair shop so we called finance company to confirm there were no issues. They sent signal but car still wouldn't start. We authorized work to be done with $800 parts & labor for the only other thing that it could be. Ordered part from BMW in Germany. Shop installed but car still won't start. Spoke to finance company again. After much discussion that determined it had to be the GPS device malfunction. They indicated that it was covered with the dealership where we bought car since they installed and contract indicates they provide the replacement/maintenance. They called dealership and got no response. They forwarded my file to their legal team. I tried calling dealership and spoke to a very nice person in finance department. They said I would get a call back after investigation. No return call. When I try to contact them, they avoid and still won't call back. Question is who is responsible for $800 in repairs if device is faulty? We are thinking the manufacturer of device. AND how to get dealership to respond? Is this consumer law? We want to work with finance company with their legal team and hire an attorney on our end. I'm dropping letter off today giving them 24 hours to respond with a follow-up certified mail of same letter. Any other advice?
They're responsible for replacement/maintenance of the device - take the car to them to fix or replace it.

If you're talking about $800 in other repairs, sorry - that's not the selling dealership's responsibility.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">