• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Human blood on food products

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ceshida2001

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio We have blood on our bags from a McDonalds restaurant. The manager to whom I complained said that an employee had cut open a wart on their finger. Shouldn't they have been wearing gloves? Also I took my 2 daughters to the E.R. For treatment. Can I sue McDonalds?

ecmst12

The employees who pick up the bags and hand them to you do not actually touch the food (since they handle the money) and do not need to wear gloves. You took your kids to the ER to be treated for what? Did they have open cuts on their hands which they rubbed the bags all over? That's paranoia to the extreme and I don't think McDonalds should even pay the medical bill.

ceshida2001

It wasn't the cashier it was the french fry person. I'm not trying to make money off this, it's just sick and if they need to be sued so be it. Just was asking a question to find out my options. Wait till something like that happens to you and you will become scared of blood-borne pathagens etc..:confused:

ecmst12

Since I actually understand how blood borne pathogens work, I would never develop an irrational fear of them. If the blood does not come into contact with an open wound or mucous membrane, then it can't hurt anyone. They don't travel through the air and they can't generally pass through unbroken skin.

cyjeff

It wasn't the cashier it was the french fry person. I'm not trying to make money off this, it's just sick and if they need to be sued so be it. Just was asking a question to find out my options. Wait till something like that happens to you and you will become scared of blood-borne pathagens etc..:confused:
Here is what you do.

You bring the bag you saved (you did save it, right?) in the plastic bag you put it in (you did preserve the evidence, right?) and the signed copy of what happened from the manager including the date (you did get a dated copy of his/her admission, right?) to an attorney.

Then you sue for millions.

wyett717

Your question has already been clearly answered, but I'm still curious to know what you sought treatment for in the ER.

Ozark_Sophist

I worked for a food production company. I've seen over $1,000,000 worth of product discarded because of drops of blood found on the outside of a few boxes. Quit giving the OP a bad time about this (other than wanting to sue). OP may have overreacted, but McDonald's does have blood borne pathogen rules for handling product (even the bags).

OP should contact corporate McDonald's.

and if they need to be sued so be it.
I'm sure that you REALLY didn't intend for anyone to pick up on whether or not they NEED to be sued. Someone that NEEDS to be sued, is someone that continues to be negligent. A high-school kid working at Club Mac with a wart on their finger doesn't constitute this.

Your statement should have been, "I'm looking for the cash-cow, and if I WANT to sue them, then so be it".

Too many people STILL wish they could have been that little old lady that hit the lawsuit-lottery with the coffee.

ecmst12

She didn't hit any lottery, she had SERIOUS PERMANENT DAMAGE AND DISFIGUREMENT and her award wasn't all that impressive after you consider her massive medical and legal expenses.

wyett717

Quit giving the OP a bad time about this (other than wanting to sue). OP may have overreacted, but McDonald's does have blood borne pathogen rules for handling product (even the bags).
Agreed. There is no cause to sue because there are no damages, but the situation should be reported anyway, and perhaps some coupons for a free meal would be in order. My concern would be the possibility that blood came in contact with the food, and unfortunately there is no way to find out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">