• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incorrect product given by employees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SeanGranger

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho

Am I entitled to more compensation than just money credited for purchased paint (15 gallons) by store, after being given the wrong paint four different times of same requested color #?
Sprayed entire home with 15 gallons and have different paint results because of varying color and types.
Now I have to re-spray the entire home again. Time loss (40 hours), material loss ($300) , pain/suffering, etc.
Should I simply take credit for paint purchased ( 15 gallons)???
or include total cost to re-paint with labor and materials?
Thank you

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Am I entitled to more compensation than just money credited for purchased paint (15 gallons) by store, after being given the wrong paint four different times of same requested color #?
Sprayed entire home with 15 gallons and have different paint results because of varying color and types.
Now I have to re-spray the entire home again. Time loss (40 hours), material loss ($300) , pain/suffering, etc.
Thank you
Where is your responsibility in this? You don't get pain/suffering because you painted your house the wrong color. You may not even be credited the money for the paint. How did you not notice the different paint colors PRIOR to painting the house?

quincy

Thank you
And, to add to Ohiogal's questions, was the paint a mixed color and were all 15 gallons picked up at the same time?

SeanGranger

One swatch was given at each visit. Paint was Soft Suede by Glidden. They only sell exterior 5 gallons buckets in that color by Color Place. Each time I told the color, brand, sheen, and type to paint dept employee. I was seeing the color by number, brand, sheen,and typed in front of me. However, there are 4 different (possibly few others) variations that are different, close, and, way off. Just by giving Wgy121 swatch, I received 15 gallons, and then an additional 3 which were already exchanged for the specific formula of paint purchased on first visit. Even with correct formula as first purchase, the paint is much darker than original coat (bucket). There are spots from second mixed paint that are not good or similar to finish look and told of problem when returned to buy extra for rest of home. They said it was a manufacturer issue, not a mixing issue. I was told otherwise by 20 yr painter that Walmart was liable, not Brand name.
This is a big home, lots of expense to re-paint and mask. Plus time loss...?
I feel compensation should be more than just paint credit.
Any ideas or ?

Ladyback1

One swatch was given at each visit. Paint was Soft Suede by Glidden. They only sell exterior 5 gallons buckets in that color by Color Place. Each time I told the color, brand, sheen, and type to paint dept employee. I was seeing the color by number, brand, sheen,and typed in front of me. However, there are 4 different (possibly few others) variations that are different, close, and, way off. Just by giving Wgy121 swatch, I received 15 gallons, and then an additional 3 which were already exchanged for the specific formula of paint purchased on first visit. Even with correct formula as first purchase, the paint is much darker than original coat (bucket). There are spots from second mixed paint that are not good or similar to finish look and told of problem when returned to buy extra for rest of home. They said it was a manufacturer issue, not a mixing issue. I was told otherwise by 20 yr painter that Walmart was liable, not Brand name.
Any ideas or ?
And that was your first mistake....

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Any ideas or ?
This is YOUR responsibility. Walmart is not to blame for your time, the fact that you put more than one shade on the house, or that it was mixed at different times. You bear the majority of responsibility -- if not all of it. If it was different shades it was on you to catch it PRIOR to painting the house. If you get compensated for the paint, you should consider yourself lucky.

quincy

Any ideas or ?
The best way to have color matches when ordering paint is to have all paint mixed at the same time. Even when mixed at the same time using the same formula, however, paint color variations are normal and should be expected. Variations can come not only with the paint mix itself but also in the application and the surfaces painted. Touching up one area painted with one can of paint with another can of paint should not be done because of the natural variations.

You might be able to get Walmart to reimburse you for the paint, especially if you can show the color between cans is substantially different. You are unlikely to get compensation for the time invested in painting the house (there would be some question as to why you didn't notice the color differences earlier). There is no chance of you getting pain and suffering.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
I thought it was common knowledge that when buying several gallons of the same color paint that you mix them together to avoid this very problem. How is that the store's fault you didn't have sense enough to do this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">