• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injury due to bicycle part failure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alex23

California:

I own a Specialized bicycle, which I bought new in 1993. I am the only owner. I don't race, I just ride around town.

The first problem was the seatpost bolt snapping. I wasn't injured, and bought another bolt to fix the problem.

Recently the seatpost itself snapped. I fell to the ground and was injured. Skin abrasions were painful, but eventually healed. I still get a 'charlie-horse' tightness and pain in my calf, who knows what that is.

After the accident I went online and learned that Specialized had recalled seatposts and seatpost bolts from that year. I wish I had known and asked for a replacement seatpost then.

What position should I take when contacting the company?

Does a company have any liability if a product fails after a recall has been issued? (I was never contacted).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You have the right to request that they replace the defective part.

ETA:
Hold on a minute...this bike is 15 years old! You can ask all you want for stuff, but don't expect much.

Alex23

They refused to replace the seatpost. They could have done better by me. I don't think my next bike will be a Specialized.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">