• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

insects founds inside major brand cereal box

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

addyer64

Irvington NJ

I bough a box of cereal Saturday Feb 27 at a supermarket in East Orange, and found live flying insects and eggs inside and outside the plastic pouch on Sunday. I immediately became sick to my stomach (not to mention furious) because I ate some late the night in the dark.
Do I have any kind of case, or should I just get a refund? What should be my next move if a lawsuit is possible? Who could I sue, the manufacturer or the supermarket?

PS. I sealed the box with tape to prevent any more of the insects from escaping. Is that wise?

Antigone*

Irvington NJ

I bough a box of cereal Saturday Feb 27 at a supermarket in East Orange, and found live flying insects and eggs inside and outside the plastic pouch on Sunday. I immediately became sick to my stomach (not to mention furious) because I ate some late the night in the dark.
Do I have any kind of case, or should I just get a refund? What should be my next move if a lawsuit is possible? Who could I sue, the manufacturer or the supermarket?

PS. I sealed the box with tape to prevent any more of the insects from escaping. Is that wise?
There is no one to sue. The bugs could have gotten in the box after you opened it. It was dark, remember?

tranquility

Get a refund from the store, write the company. You should be able to get the refund if the store is smart and you may get some free cereal coupons from the company.

Other than that, you have no damages.

cyjeff

Let me get to the crux of the question...

You didn't win the lottery. You are not hurt or have any medical expenses.

The liability to the store is limited to the value of the cereal....which will be remedied by an exchange or refund.

Country Living

You can always tell the young people. They've lived in a weevil-less world. :p

Those of us who are a bit older remember sifting flour not to make it nice and fluffy; but, to sift out the weevils. We waited for the weevils to float to the top in cereal bowl and then scooped them out. It was either that or go hungry.

This is why I still freeze flour and most flour products when I bring them home from the store. If I start seeing weevils in the cereal, I'll start freezing it also. I even freeze the wheat we use to make the flour that makes the bread.

I think weevils and roaches will outlive all of us.

Ozark_Sophist

You can always tell the young people. They've lived in a weevil-less world. :p

Those of us who are a bit older remember sifting flour not to make it nice and fluffy; but, to sift out the weevils. We waited for the weevils to float to the top in cereal bowl and then scooped them out. It was either that or go hungry.

This is why I still freeze flour and most flour products when I bring them home from the store. If I start seeing weevils in the cereal, I'll start freezing it also. I even freeze the wheat we use to make the flour that makes the bread.

I think weevils and roaches will outlive all of us.
I've had them in GS cookies where the package is still sealed and airtight.

I no longer store GS cookies to eat later--at least that's my excuse for chowing down. ;)

Country Living

Any flour-based product has this problem. The manufacturers work hard to minimize the little critters at the factory level; but, the product can get them during shipment, while staged in the receiving store's warehouse, in the store, or in your house. We even got them in bird seed we kept in the barn last year. I haven't figured that one out yet.

Once you get them, the best line of defense is to toss everything that's flour-based in a large garbage bag on garbage day so it goes out immediately. Wash down the pantry and everything in it - even the cans of food get a wipe. Scrub the floor. I'd even set off a bug bomb while the pantry is empty.

They're not dangerous. They're not poisonous. If you get hungry enough, they're not even an annoyance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">