• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Knife accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

berjoy

What is the name of your state? Alaska
My husband was out hunting, when the blade of the Kershaw knife he was using slipped out and did a "switchback", cutting his upper wrist area very badly. We were out in the middle of nowhere- no cities, no cell service, no hospitals- but thankfully a ranger pulled up 10 minutes later and cleaned/ bandaged the wound, and helped my husband from going into shock. My question is: Can we file a defective product case against the knife company? What do I need for this type of case?
**[I did check with the BBB and got no complaints, also no recalls on any of their products. So being the first person to go forward with this type of allegation seems hard!]
We bought the knife at a Sportsmans Show about 2 years ago, so any warranties have by now expired. It is an interchangeable blade hunting knife, and the blade that was on there is curved with a skinning tip. While using it, the blade "came out" of the "socket" part that held it in; thus causing the injury. (He was still holding the handle as this happened.)

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

I checked for product recalls and found none, did the blade actually "break" in some way or did it just slip in his hand? Was it still under warranty?

rmet4nzkx said:
I checked for product recalls and found none, did the blade actually "break" in some way or did it just slip in his hand? Was it still under warranty?
No...What the poster is saying is that they have a knife that opens up at a push of a button. But somehow closed after opening and cut her husbands wrist.

The blade did not break...But closed unexpectedly...and with no motion from him to close..and cut his wrist.

Does the button also close the blade?...Or do you have to close it manually?

Was the blade double sided?

Maybe an inadvertent touch of the button by your husband closed the blade.

Last edited:

berjoy

StickyFingers said:
No...What the poster is saying is that they have a knife that opens up at a push of a button. But somehow closed after opening and cut her husbands wrist.
Does the button also close the blade?...Or do you have to close it manually? Was the blade double sided?
Maybe an inadvertent touch of the button by your husband closed the blade.
Thanks for any response, this helps me more in deep thought of what I can do.
Although- this knife doesn't have a button to open/ or close the blade. It has an opening to where a blade fits in, and closes over it. Somehow this flipped open and caused the blade to fall out. It wasn't a double-sided blade, just a curved with a sharp/ thin skinning tip.

berjoy said:
Thanks for any response, this helps me more in deep thought of what I can do.
Although- this knife doesn't have a button to open/ or close the blade. It has an opening to where a blade fits in, and closes over it. Somehow this flipped open and caused the blade to fall out. It wasn't a double-sided blade, just a curved with a sharp/ thin skinning tip.
OK...So your discription of "switchback/switchblade" was inaccurate.

So what you are saying is that your husband was handeling the knife and it openend/blade fell out suddenly?

EDIT....How long before this happened, did your husband (or you) puchase this knife?

Because I have to say (thus far in your explanation) that you have absolutely no case against the maker of this knife. It seems as though your husband was handeling the knife and recieved an injury.

Last edited:
OK...so I need to see the knife....

Please surf the net and provide us a link to a picture and desciption of the knife in question.

Thank you.

berjoy

StickyFingers said:
OK...So your discription of "switchback/switchblade" was inaccurate.
I said it came out of the knife and "did like-a-switchback", meaning it curled back thus cutting in to his upper wrist/ bone.
So what you are saying is that your husband was handeling the knife and it openend/blade fell out suddenly?
Yes- while he was pushing on the knife, the blade popped off and folded back. The blade holder, is like an "elbow" where it closes over the part where the blade holds in. We've tried to reenact the blade popping off, but we still don't know how it could have happened, but the closure area where the blade fits in dosen't seem very stable.

EDIT....How long before this happened, did your husband (or you) puchase this knife?
As stated, the knife was purchased around a year and a half to/ 2 years ago.

Because I have to say (thus far in your explanation) that you have absolutely no case against the maker of this knife. It seems as though your husband was handeling the knife and recieved an injury.
So- if this happens to another person who has a similar knife, it will just go under- and go on and on as "Oh theres nothing we can do.?" It seems as if the ball of yarn has to start somewhere. Companies can't just make dangerous products and in the end aren't liable for it.
**I know I know- we bought it, we are responsible. But if this happens to someone else- even after we tried to put the warning out that this knife isn't safe and should be taken back to the drawing table for safty upgrades- then our voice isn't heard and the company is getting away with selling a defective product. I really feel there can be something done, and hope upgrades will be possible.

justalayman

It's truly impossible to determine on the internet if this knife is a faulty design or not. I cannot tell how easily what happened, happpened or what safety measure were incorporated to prevent an accident such as yours.

Talk to a local PI attorney. Sometimes people win what many thought to be an unwinnable case and sometimes what was thought to be a slam dunk turns into an airball.

The most you will lose by talking with an attorney is the time it takes to do it. .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">