• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Law Suit Filed. What is a Guardianship over money?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joeydamonmom2

What is the name of your state? I currently live in Arizona, but the suit was filed in Indiana.

Ok, so when my son was 4 months old he started having large Grand Mal Seizures, we lived in a small town in Indiana and did not have a pediatric Neurologist locally. We had to see an adult Neuro, anyway, the first medicine they put him on was Phenobarbitol and then after that wasn't working they put him on Tegretol (carmazepine). The pharmacy was a very large "chain" and had just opened. They filled the carmazepine once and it was fine, the second time I had it filled,it didn't look right. I called and the pharmacist just said "to shake the bottle". Tegretol separates VERY fast, within seconds, so I thought something was wrong.We were new at this and I had remembered reading that different "generic drugs" can have different consistensies and different colors depending on the company. So I figured it was fine. 14 Days later my son had a "status event", to which he almost died. Over 45 minutes of constant seizure, he was only 6 months old. He had to be intibated, a g- tube placed because of all the drugs they had to give him to stop the event. Anyway, the PICU doctor came into the room and asked if I had been giving him his medication, I said of course. She said "well then why does he not have ANY Tegretol in his blood?". I had no clue, and she was about to call Social Services on me, but my pediatrician had been the one to stick up for me saying" no way she would never do that, check the script", At this time I was so distraught I hadn't even thought about the script, so after explaining what I had discovered earlier in the month to the PICU doctor,they sent the medication to a lab to have it tested. It came back 0.008% medication, which she stated was essentially water and that he had, had, this "status event" due to the withdrawl of this medication. I called an attorney when we left the hospital a week later.

Ok so fast forward three years later, the "pharmacy" never took my deposition but we had set up a mediation hearing for settlement, there "experts" had found a loop hold, that it does not state in any medical book or any medical case reported that "tegretol has withdrawl effects" and that if this had happened on any other seizure medication my son would not be alive today. That he had had that "event" on his own. And that being on the medication was probably making his Epilepsy worse, all of this was also confirmed through my docs as well. We are not money hungry people and after very stressful negotiations, I just said forget it, settle on the 35 K. We had moved to Arizona last year, for my son, his Epilepsy is severe and the Childrens Hospital could no longer help us. We needed a bigger city. I had even asked my Neuro team here to look at the file and they "unfortunately agree". there is no way to "prove" that Damon would not have had this seizure anyway and that he shouldn't have been on the drug in the first place. Even though the "pharmacy" had already admitted that the drug had been filled incorrectly, apparently that did not matter. It like they are saying that if a person who has terminal cancer, dies due to medication toxicity, they would say, "well he was going to die anyway, so it's not our fault." :rolleyes:

So, we settled and now they just notified me that the money is being set up in a "guardianship", both mine and my son's name is on the law suit. But what exactly does this mean? What are the rules on the money? I am not one of those parents who wants to spend there babies money but we have quite a bit of credit card debt, for my son, and I am unable to work. He needs 24 hour care, he has seizures of over 100 plus a day. Thanks for listening to me rant and any advice would be great.

fairisfair

A guardian, or conservator will be named and then appointed by the court to handle your son's money. That person will have to comply with strict requirements regarding the expenditures of that money and the court will have to approve them as well (at least that is how it generally works) It is to protect and preserve your son's "estate". Generally a parent is named as the conservator in the case of a minor child.

At the time that your son reaches majority age, you will have to file for a termination of the conservatorship/guardianship and the monies will be released to him.

joeydamonmom2

Ok, so the attorney that this case is being forwarded to is in Arizona, does he "hold" the money and then I ask him when I need it? What are the stipulations (common) or the rules in which the money is to be spent?

las365

they just notified me that the money is being set up in a "guardianship"
Who are "they"? Your attorney's office? You really ought to ask your attorney for the answers to these questions.

If part of the claim was yours and part was your son's, then the settlement should be designated as how much is for you and how much is for him. You probably can't use "his" money to pay debts or living expenses.

joeydamonmom2

Yes, my attorneys office, sent me the notification. There is a three hour time change, and with a handicapped child having seizures all over the house, I have a hard time chatting on the phone. I did leave a message for them on Friday, and I am waiting to hear back.
Thanks

fairisfair

Ok, so the attorney that this case is being forwarded to is in Arizona, does he "hold" the money and then I ask him when I need it? What are the stipulations (common) or the rules in which the money is to be spent?
I am a conservator, of a minor child's account, in Arizona. I am not sure that they are all set up exactly alike, but I can tell you about mine. You will need to have the money deposited into a court approved restricted account. All expenditures from that account will need to be approved by the court. Those approvals won't be for things like clothes, or a new bike, but only for items that are truly necessary. For example let's say that your son required a wheel chair, the court would most likely allow you to withdraw funds for that kind of an expenditure, he turns 16 and wants a car, aint' happening. You are $100 short on the light bill, ain't happenin. Your attorney should be able to forward a copy of the standard conservatorship paperwork to you for your review, although it does not totally detail every fiduciary responsiblity, you will be able to get the general idea. Are YOU the conservator? and las365 is correct, these are questions that you should be addressing to your attorney, after all, that IS why you retained him/her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">