• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loose tires!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrsjoysmith81

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I recently got my tires rotated at the dealership where I purchased my truck. I drove home and parked for 3 days and I didnt go anywhere, fortunately. When I drove to work on a Saturday afternoon, my truck felt off balance and I knew something was wrong, I felt it all in the way the Truck was moving. To make a long story short I ended up calling the tow truck to tighten 5 LUGS or screws on both of my rear tires. ( my wheels almost fell off) I was emotionally distraught because anything could have happened to me and my entire family "on the way to Grandma's House". Nothing was damaged to my knowledge, but 4 lives could have been lost...

What can I do...

fcobarr

What could have happened is irrelevant.

I had a steering wheel come off at 60 mph after being worked on by the dealership. Thankfully no injuries/accident. The dealership towed the vehicle, acknowledged that someone must have forgotten to install the nut securing the steering wheel to the column, and that was it.

Like Hoe1979 said, if they cover your towing, be glad. Otherwise, no injuries, no case.

Good luck,

Ozark_Sophist

A couple of lessons here. First, learn how to change a tire. There may come a time where you a flat in a dangerous, desolate area where it might not be safe to wait for a tow truck. You could have tightened the lug nuts yourself. Second, if you have tires rotated at a shop that uses pneumatic tools, check to see if you can loosen the lug nuts yourself (impact wrench sometimes overtightens) before leaving the shop. You wouldn't want to be stuck in a bad area and be unable to loosen lugs to change a flat. Third, if you have work done in a shop, inspect your vehicle before leaving.

I had an engine replaced in a mid-engine sports car. Before leaving the shop, I checked and found the engine bolts had not been installed. The engine would have rolled over once I applied some torque.

navdoc

You would have noticed loose lug nuts pretty much immediately. Have there been any tire or rim thefts in your area lately? It does happen.

ariastar

Before I was allowed to drive by myself, my dad made sure I knew some basics, such as changing tires. I'm a girl, and there may be this...idea...that car-stuff is for boys. If so, I guess only guys should be driving. Seriously, knowing some basics is just smart. Willful ignorance is stupid. If you're going to use something, understand it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">