• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lung Cancer undiagnosed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Doubting Thomas

I live in Massachusetts but my father, the patient and subject of this post, lives in Michigan.

In March, this year, he was diagnosed with late stage small-cell lung cancer. It's in his lung and liver and he's being treated. Because it's not early stage there's no chance of a cure, no likely 2 year survival rate. HAD they caught the cancer when it was in an earlier stage he MIGHT have a shot at a 5 year survival.

Yes, he was a lifelong smoker so this is no mystery. The concern I have is that he is only 62 and in January 2001 - over a year prior to this present lung cancer diagnosis - he was diagnosed and treated for throat cancer. (Of course he immediately stopped smoking then - like it matters now.)

In 2001 he was successfully treated for the throat cancer and they were doing "follow-ups" with chest x-rays every 3 months. BUT no one did or suggested MRI or Ct Scan or more aggressive ways of finding bad news. I looked at his medical records and in August or September 2001 he had a "weird" xray so they sceduled a second one and THAT one was "suspicious" and he was about to FINALLY get a Ct Scan in MARCH 2002 when he got very sick, went into the hospital and learned there was a lung tumor blocking part of his bronchial tube.

Believe it or not - other than the (2) cancers he's had (has) Dad's in GREAT health. Goes to the gym 3-4 times a week. Plays sports, is slender - etc. This is one of the reasons that HAD those docs checked him our more aggressively back in January 2001 he might have easily been one of the guys who gets 5 years. Instead we're expecting mortality within the coming 6 months to possibly 9 months! Instead of dying in 2006, he's probably not going to make it to 2003. What's the value of 3 years to you? It sure means alot to me, to him, and to our family.

As a lawyer myself I am usually the first to say - don't go to court - you'll never be happy there - it's a house of pain!

But I know NOTHING about medical malpractice, so I don't trust my own advice. Plus I have a spend-thrift, half-wit for a sister who I feel I need to look out for and who would probably benefit from any successful suit, if there was one. Am I doing the WRONG thing by NOT hiring a lawyer?

Last edited:

vrzirn

After successful surgical removal of throat cancer the 5 yr survival rate is about 50%. If your father were lucky he would have been in that group.
Unfortunately, he was not and developed mets to the lung. With very aggressive treatment of early SCLC (as a primary tumor)the 5 year rate drops to about 26-40%,depending on the study. Late diagnosis and it is about 8-10%. The fact that these were metastases makes the prognosis worse since they had already invaded the liver as well.
His doctors provided the necessary follow-up care and I do not see any negligence. You would have to prove that if they had taken scans he would have had 5 years. You cannot do that.
Scans are very expensive and are not given routinely as part of follow-up. In addition, scans are 90-95% accurate and much depends on who is doing the reading. Those were initially micro-metastases and easy to miss.
Talk to one of your attorney friends who specializes in medical mal-practice and you will probably hear the same opinion.
Your sister either needs to marry a very wealthy man or learn how to live beneath her means. I do not think an insurance company will support her.
As a note of hope: people can live for a long time with cancer in the liver. It messes up their electrolytes but they often do quite well. If the lung cancer is resectable he might make the 5 years.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">