• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motor Vehicle Warranty Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boutmy

New York

I've been studying the Magnuson-Moss thing and am curious about a few things. First, my understanding is that a warranty claim cannot be denied based on not using a repair shop authorized by the manufacturer. From what I read this would be considered an illegal tie-in sale.

Second, and if I understand it correctly, a manufacturer cannot deny a claim based on other than the manufacturer's parts being used unless the manufacturer has received a waiver to the tie-in sales restriction by proving to the FTC that a specific part will not work with their product.

I'm researching this because Harley Davidson is refusing to do warranty work on my bike unless the bike is returned to a completely stock condition, claiming that the aftermarket parts I have installed on the bike 'could' be causing the problems I'm having. I know for fact these aftermarket parts are not causing the problem, but Harley Davidson will not authorized the dealer to diagnose or repair any problem until I return the bike to it's original stock configuration.

I personally think they are looking for a way out of honoring the warranty.

BL

* Restrictions apply: See actual contract (Part I and Part II) for specific coverage, exclusions and restrictions .

Tell us if those restrictions exist .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">