• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

needle in lung

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

camero94

yes two tears ago i had a collapsed lung twice in which i finally had surgery for a year later i had my records faxed to me for trying to get another dr since i moved and i never really have been the same my lung still gives me problems i believe it also has changed my personality made me depressed but what i found out in this records was during surgery a needle was broke into my lung inwhich they stated they repaired but do you think this is grounds for a lawsuit:mad:

stephenk

since the records indicate the lung was repaired, do you have any "evidence" that the records are not correct?

have you been diagnosed as depressed? If yes, have any of your doctors told you your lung problems are related to or causing your depression?

C

camero94

yes i have been diaognoised as depressed and the yes this needle broke because it was his transcript from after surgery hellhe did not ecen bother to come down after surgery to talk to the family he just called over the intercom after we demanded to talk to him to see how surgery went

ellencee

It is highly doubtful that the broken needle caused any damage beyond what was repaired in surgery and the incident most likely did not cause any further physical problems and did not cause any emotional problems.

It is possible the cause of the collapsed lung (twice) is associated with depression, but we do not know the reason for the collapsed lung. (some examples would be emphysema and drug usage)

Most surgeons do not leave the operating suites on normal, busy, OR days, and instead call the family from the OR to report on the surgery. It's nice when the family receives a face-to-face report, but it isn't a breach of professionalism for the surgeon to opt to make such a report by phone or intercom.

Without any additional information to support a claim of malpractice, my professional opinion is: no indication of malpractice.

H

hmmbrdzz

Just an addition -- A collapsed lung can also be caused by injury (such as broken ribs from injury), and it can be caused by chronic illness, and it can occur out of the blue. Don't know what the cause of your collapsed lung was, but it's highly unlikely that anyone (i.e. an attorney on your behalf) would be able to link a needle puncture sustained during surgery and repaired to your depression. If, after the surgery, you had severe complications from the surgery, you might have reason to wonder if it was related to the needle puncture.

Doctors are bound to provide care according to certain standards, and they're bound to take appropriate measures to correct their errors. It sounds like the doctor did that. He repaired the needle puncture, and he documented it in the surgical note (all incidents like this are documented in the charts).

If you have respiratory problems, that alone could be used to claim that's causing your depression. Also, some people who get "depressed" and stay that way for several months never get back to the way they felt before. That, unfortunately, is the nature of depression. It is important for you to get treated for it.

Hope you feel better soon.

hmmbrdzz

Quote: yes two tears ago i had a collapsed lung twice in which i finally had surgery for a year later i had my records faxed to me for trying to get another dr since i moved and i never really have been the same my lung still gives me problems i believe it also has changed my personality made me depressed but what i found out in this records was during surgery a needle was broke into my lung inwhich they stated they repaired but do you think this is grounds for a lawsuit

AmosMoses

camero-

I am quite sure that it would be near impossible to get representation in this matter, much less find a cause of action, as the odds of showing that the needle having anything to do with your current problems is slim to none...correction...none. I have an idea that whatever collapsed your lung originally is rearing it's ugly head again, although you never did state what that was exactly. Whatever it was is evidently potentially correctable by surgery. When you see that your lung was mistakenly punctured, it is human nature to equate the mistake with serious consequences, simply because it was an error. Think about it this way....they cut a huge hole in you, and cut and tore all manner of tissue in your body, (something that is done to thousands of people every day who recover fully), and all that healed. The accidental "needle hole" would be extremely small, and I honestly don't know how you would "repair" it other than stop any bleeders if it hit a vessel. It probably would have healed on it's own. Either way, it was fixed like any other surgical invasion. And, you can bet it was minor. I am not sure, but lung biopsies may be taken with huge needes removing chunks of tissue...it's done to livers, etc., and heals perfectly. Partial and whole lungs are removed and repaired, and they heal. I would be much more concerned with a small hole in the diaphragm as opposed to the lung. At any rate, I wish you a successful recovery with your health problems. I think that your depression may be related to some other problems in your life, very likely some that you have posted on this forum before. GOOD LUCK.

Last edited:
C

camero94

it was a spontaneos pnumothorax and i never have recovered all the way like they said i should i cant play any sports at all do any hard labor work iam always out of breath and sometimes i have pain and now i think its gone to the other side because i feel the same symptoms as i did the other is this possible

H

hmmbrdzz

I was wondering what it was from. If you had two spontaneous pneumos and had surgery for these things and you're feeling tired and depressed now and are developing pain that migrating to the other side, you need to get back to the doctor. You may indeed be having another one. You should NOT be playing any sports or engaging in ANY activity that requires a lot of movement or exertion. You really need to go back to the doctor. You could cough wrong and wind up in the ER and then on the table again. You need to go to the doctor. If you're smoking (cigs or pot) you need to stop.

hmmbrdzz

J

jet750

Sounds like your doctor has not helped you.

Find a good lawyer,he will do the best surgery , heal you, cure you of all your ailments, nurse you back to health. BTW you continue to smoke and abuse yourself.
Stay away from all the doctors and please do not go to the hospital again.

C

camero94

so what are you saying dont go to the hospital if i get sick someone told me that this kind of things happens all the time in surgery and that a lawyer would not be able to file for a law suit

H

hmmbrdzz

The somebody is right. Go to the hospital if you have another one. Jet750 has just had too much to drink with his Holiday Big Mac.

hmmbrdzz

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">