• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nerve Damage I

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jamesmom

Colorado Springs,Colorado
I had my wisdom teeth removed in Nov.2000, that went fine.
I went to my follow up and told the dentist there was a painful lump in the lower left side where the tooth was removed. He said it was probably a hematoma(sry about spelling). That was in Dec. I went back in Jan and told him it was still hurting. He said there was either food tooth or bone down in ther and it was infected. He numbed me up and cut out whatever was there. I have been numb on my lip ever since. I told him about it being numb and he said it could take about six months to heal, that it was nerve damage. It has been six months and now he says it looks permanent. He told me he could refer me to a nerve surgeon. None of this happened during my surgery to remove the teeth. This was during a follow up. He did not give me any antibiotics to clear up the infection he just removed whatever was in there on the spot. I do not know if this is malpractice. It is embarassing to go out to eat because food slides down my face and I am unable to feel it. When I talk it feels like my lip has had a stroke.

pele

Get yourself to a neurologist as soon as possible to find out just what damage was done. I can tell you from personal experience, and being in the medical profession that it can take up to a year for a nerve to regenerate. In my case, I had jaw surgery to correct a malocclusion. I had a large round area on my chin that was numb and the side of my tongue was numb for quite some time. The surgeon told me that if it all didn't go away after a year, then what I was left with would probably be permanent, however, it was almost two years before the numb spot on my chin disappeared. A neurologist can probably tell you what nerve in your face has been damaged. Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">