• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nerve damage from spinal fusion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

_clawdia

I am from Wisconsin. In November 2000 I underwent a spinal fusion (L5,S1) with BAK cages. When I was gotten out of bed, I discovered I had no feeling from the hip down on my left side. It has been five months since the surgery and some of the feeling has come back, but I also experience a great deal of nerve pain. I have also lost all bladder function. My urologist advised me if it doesn't return in six months, it's lost for good. He also said the longer I go without function, the less likely I'll regain it, so as it looks now, I'm going to have to use a straight catheter for the rest of my life. I've recently had an MRI with contrast, and my neurosurgeon said everything looked in place and he didn't believe that the cages were pressing on a nerve root. He feels the damage occured during the surgery. I realize that there are risks in any surgery, but I was not expecting this! As it stands now, not only am I unable to return to my job as a corrections officer, but I am not able to sit for any length of time, so an administrative job is probably out of the question. This is costing me my job, health insurance, etc. Do I have a case? Please help!

pele

BAK Cages

Use search engine google.com , type in the words BAK Cages and a lot of sites will come up, perhaps you will find some help there. How bad were you before the surgery? Sometimes people wait too long for surgery due to fear. The longer a nerve is injured the less you will get back.

C

_clawdia

I've had back problems for many years, but it was just about two months prior to my surgery that I experienced any numbness in my leg. That's when my doctor referred me to a neuro surgeon. Don't think my primary doctor believed me when I complained of back pain. He told me that I might have a touch of arthritis, and advised me to exercise. By the time I had surgery, my neruo told me that there wasn't any disk left at all. I've checked out sights on the BAK cages, etc. thanks.

C

_clawdia

Just got a second opinion from a well-known clinic and was told by a doctor after he examined my latest MRI that I have scar tissue on my spinal cord which means that an injury must have occured during the surgery. I was told even though the actual spinal fusion looked good, the damage to my spinal cord/nerve is permanent and I will not fully recover. The doctor told me that the pain I am experiencing is not going to go away. I will always walk with a limp as my left leg is very weak and I'm in constant pain. When my neuro surgeon examined the same MRI film, he did not tell me about the scar tissue; he only reported that the BAK cages were ok. Should I contact an attorney?

M

meliahome

I am in a very similar situation. I was in a car accident (not my fault) where my 5S1 lower disc was torn. I had fusion surgery and since then have had continued medical problems including back, leg and side pain, pain injections, infections, gall bladder removed due to intestinal and bladder problems, nerve damage, weakness and low energy and now a possible hysterectomy due to cronic pelvic and back pain. I am only 34 years old and I recently had to quit work because I could not keep up. I feel that I am in the same situation as you and I am also seeking an attorney. There has to be some conection with this. Feel free to contact me to discuss this further. I hope you get help as I am also in need of it.

buddy robinson

l5s1 bak cage /several operaions still in alot of pain

I was 22 when i had my third back operation at l5 s1 , which is when i was told by a certain doc. that my previous fusion (facet/pedicle csrew fusion) did not heel and the screws were loose, so i went and had bak/w/my own bone from pelvis now the disk above l4 is completely gone and herniated into spinal canal so that had to be fixed. I have no feeling in r leg from knee down unless it is nerve pain that i can feel in heel ankle etc., also extreme pain in back r & l legs . so i went to see doctor and i was told that i had to many operations now the L5L4 is bone on bone also stenosis wich i was not aware of but is obvious to me what is cuasing pain, i guess my question is even know i voluntered to have bak system surgery do i have any rights if class action comes about?::I am now 39 and i dont see how i will ever recover, it may sound bad on my part but i would like someone to answer why they put these cages in when they did not know what the outcome would be down the road. also if anyone has had disc replacement done i would like to hear from you you may email me at budyr8Gmail.com. this was offered to me but i am hesident do to previous bak problems.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I was 22 when i had my third back operation at l5 s1 , which is when i was told by a certain doc. that my previous fusion (facet/pedicle csrew fusion) did not heel and the screws were loose, so i went and had bak/w/my own bone from pelvis now the disk above l4 is completely gone and herniated into spinal canal so that had to be fixed. I have no feeling in r leg from knee down unless it is nerve pain that i can feel in heel ankle etc., also extreme pain in back r & l legs . so i went to see doctor and i was told that i had to many operations now the L5L4 is bone on bone also stenosis wich i was not aware of but is obvious to me what is cuasing pain, i guess my question is even know i voluntered to have bak system surgery do i have any rights if class action comes about?::I am now 39 and i dont see how i will ever recover, it may sound bad on my part but i would like someone to answer why they put these cages in when they did not know what the outcome would be down the road. also if anyone has had disc replacement done i would like to hear from you you may email me at budyr8Gmail.com. this was offered to me but i am hesident do to previous bak problems.
If you have a legal question, please start your own thread.

This forum prefers if one does not necropost. The original OP is long gone, seeing how this thread originated in 2001. :cool:

OHRoadwarrior

Buddy, there is no class action lawsuit for degeneration. It is well known fact fusions lead to future deterioration and increased stress on fusion areas. You are simply a victim of your own physical degeneration. File for disability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">