• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Next of Kin Not Notified Up Pt's Death..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

samsr

To:Message Board,

I think we are in need of legal help.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, we are distraught.
My cousin, has been in a mental institution since 1959.
He became mentally ill about 3 months after he was struck on the head.
He was a patient in Rockland State Mental Institution for many years and then a couple of years back was transferred to Lowell, MA.
Since it is quite difficult for us to get out there to see him as often as we would have liked to, we had to stay in touch via phone with social workers and other care givers. Whenever there was a problem with Noel, they were always sure to contact us for help and info.
Next week, we were planning to visit him as we had not seen him in over 2 years. We called the institution to inquire to let them know we would be visiting soon but had to leave various messages which have not been responded to. We have the names and times of these contact attempts.
Today, I began to grow concerned that there was really no reason why they would simply ignore our communications as they were, in general, quick to get back to us before.
Then tragedy struck. I decided to go online and do a "social security death index search". Unfortunately, it turns out that my dear cousin has been dead since January, 2003!
The hospital did not have the decency to let us know he had died and we would have been able to give him a decent burial!
This has hit us like a ton of bricks. We are confused and really don't know what to do. Before his father died last year, he told us that we were to make sure that he was buried with him and we purchased a 2 part burial plot for that specific reason.
Now we know nothing about the circumstances of his death, how he died, why he died, did he suffer, was he injured or beat up, did they try to help him, he could be in a potter's field for all we know! His stepmother and step sisters have been crying for hours.
Please advise.

WE ARE STILL AWAITING A CALL FROM THE HOSPITAL!!
(THEY ARE IGNORING US!!)
Sam

PS- The website I accessed also states that it was a "verified" death meaning that "someone" from the family was contacted.
THAT IS AN ABSOLUTE LIE!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">