• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

nintendo wii injury inquiry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

terry714_us

I played the tiger woods on the wii the other night and after a short time of play my shoulder became increasingly sore. If the game is marketed as a virtual action then there should be some sort of inert resistance at the point of contact with the object being struck. Otherwise it feels like you're swinging at air which you are but you're suppose to be hitting the tennis ball, etc. If there is a way to have a weighted object technologically developed within the joy stick that would work on a magnetic idea i believe it would reduce the liabilty of other injuries. Product liabilty. Oh and i had to type this wth onle my left hand.

racer72

Do you have a question? I sure hope it's not about suing Nintendo, nothing in your post comes anywhere close to suggesting they did anything wrong.

terry714_us

I beg to differ

When I went to the E.R. last Sunday the nursing assistant in triage told me that I was about the 10th person to come in with the same infliction. There is a certain motion that will create a "SUPERIOR STRIKE" graphic incertain games. Take for instance the Tiger Woods game. You can swing at it and create an "OK" strike. But if you really give it a good swing it will let you know what "A GREAT HIT" it was by graphically demonstrated.

racer72

Did you read the part in the instruction manual about making sure you have the physical capabilities to play certain games and to stop at the first sign of any pain or discomfort?

justalayman

bottom line; you have to be smart enough to realize your limitations and stop before getting injured.

Are you smart enough to make that decision?

wyett717

If there is a way to have a weighted object technologically developed within the joy stick that would work on a magnetic idea i believe it would reduce the liabilty of other injuries.
Take your own suggestion and create such a game, you'll make millions.

What is any different about playing a Wii game than playing real golf? You wouldn't sue Titleist because you hurt your shoulder.

Nativity

I played the tiger woods on the wii the other night and after a short time of play my shoulder became increasingly sore. If the game is marketed as a virtual action then there should be some sort of inert resistance at the point of contact with the object being struck. Otherwise it feels like you're swinging at air which you are but you're suppose to be hitting the tennis ball, etc. If there is a way to have a weighted object technologically developed within the joy stick that would work on a magnetic idea i believe it would reduce the liabilty of other injuries. Product liabilty. Oh and i had to type this wth onle my left hand.
Why on earth if you are playing a Golf game would you be hitting a tennis ball?

Wow, I really hope that this post is a joke. All of the game manuals (and wii manual) say that injuries could occur. This is almost as dumb as when a friend of mine asked me a couple of weeks ago if he could sue nintendo because he was playing tennis, accidentally threw the controller at his $5,000 plasma tv and destroyed the screen. I laughed at him then, and if it wasn't so late in such a busy work day, I would be laughing at you as well.

Actually, I chuckled a little :rolleyes:

Last edited:

sagito327

I don't think it's fair to crucify this poster. There IS a possibility that Nintendo was negligent when constructing the wii controller for such "striking" motions. This is particularly true if they are promoting the wii as an alternative to otherwise sedentary video games, which they are. Terry, I would suggest you call one of the larger tort firms in your state and inquire. If there are a number of people with the same problem as you say there are, then they may be able to help. There may even be a class action suit in the making.

EDIT: I stand by the contents of my post. Justalayman, I will take your advice to ignore your advice.

Last edited:

Nativity

So by what you are saying is, if I go out and purchase a real golf club and swing it at a real tennis ball, I can go after one of the companies since I injured myself using a "swinging" action?

On a more serious note, a couple months ago I accidentally swatted myself in the face with a fly swatter, this gives me new hope. :eek:

justalayman

I don't think it's fair to crucify this poster. There IS a possibility that Nintendo was negligent when constructing the wii controller for such "striking" motions. This is particularly true if they are promoting the wii as an alternative to otherwise sedentary video games, which they are. Terry, I would suggest you call one of the larger tort firms in your state and inquire. If there are a number of people with the same problem as you say there are, then they may be able to help. There may even be a class action suit in the making.
the controller had nothing to do with the injury. What they claimed was the problem was Wii directed them to simulate some action and due to no resistance when simulated contact with the video ball was experienced, OP was injured due to the lack of haptic feedback.

Simply a preposterous idea.

I doubt feedback of any sort could've helped the OP - he kept swinging when his shoulder was hurting, and pain is the most compelling feedback of all.

PS - Plus, he went to the ER. For a video game. Seriously.

EDIT: I stand by the contents of my post. Justalayman, I will take your advice to ignore your advice.

Sagito, you are a bonified idiot. There can be no class action suit when the wii manual, game manual, and screenshot BEFORE the game clearly outline the dangers of playing any wii game. You could try to sue, but you would just be wasting a TON of money (especially after nintendo forces you to pay their lawyers' costs because they have won). If you have nothing intelligent to post, please do not post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">