• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Pre delivery inspection on trailer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gpenny99

What is the name of your state? Montana

I was pulling a trailer with a heavy load of dirt in the city, the truck was stopping the trailer at intersections, then a bit of rain started making the roads slick. Approaching a stop light I applied brakes but the front tires locked up and slid. I was not getting enough braking power from my trailer brakes. The trailer pushed me down the road until I collided with a vehicle stopped at a red light. On purchasing a new vehicle I hooked up the trailer still full of dirt and tested the brakes to determine if there were any. The brakes did not operate as they should providing braking but not enough. I phoned the dealer to get them fixed and was told there was nothing wrong with my brakes as they are all checked and adjusted during the PDI. In the end I found out that the trailer did not have this inspection, this inspection was done about two weeks after the accident. The brakes were adjusted and I now have brakes. Do I have a case and if so what course of action should I take?

Thanks,

Crash

justalayman

You are going to be hard pressed laying this on the inspection. As a driver, you are typically fully liable for your vehicle, which would include determining the brakes be in working condition at all times. Your failure to inspect this yourself when hooking up would most likely remove the inspection, or lack of insepction, as being the cause for the accident.
====================================================================

On purchasing a new vehicle I hooked up the trailer still full of dirt and tested the brakes to determine if there were any. The brakes did not operate as they should providing braking but not enough.
===================

that statement, right there, would have prevented the accident, had you done so when first hooking up the trailer the first time. It is your responsibility.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">