• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nyla Bone almost kills dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prlady51

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

Can I sue Nyla Bone company for damages to our dog. They make a bone that is supposed to be not edible, we bought a size appropiate for our dog, he was able to swallow the entire bone whole and after lots of vet visits he was sent to an energency hospital and needed to have emergency surgery to save his life, They had to end up cutting approx 4 inches of his intestines, the bills are very high and we cdont have the money to pay.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, let me get this straight. You bought an item for your dog to chew on that was of a size that he could swallow it, and now you want to sue the maker of the item?

Appalling!

Standard answer: Anybody can sue anyone at anytime for anything.
However, not only will your case NOT be successful, you can expect some serious chastisement for wasting the court's time!

prlady51

No you dont get it I am not that stupid the bone measures 5 and 1/2 inches in length and 1 and 1/2 inches wide. It is meant to be chewed to clean teeth I bought a size appropiate meaning it was big enough so that the dog couldnt swallow it according to their guidelines. A pug is a very small dog with a very small mouth. a big dog could have swallowed it but a small one should be unable to.

wyett717

Agreed, Zig. Ff the bone broke into pieces and the dog swallowed those - different story. Do not give your pets items that they can swallow, and then assume the manufacturer is liable. I'm hopeful that common sense will make a return one day...

prlady51

Can you people read and understand. The bone size was the APPROPIATE size MEANING it was the size they recomend for the size of my dog. I would never be so ignorant as to buy something the dog could swallow. I mean I love my dog why would I try to kill him. Dont be so prompt to judge. Read the question before you answer.

Zigner

Can you people read and understand. The bone size was the APPROPIATE size MEANING it was the size they recomend for the size of my dog. I would never be so ignorant as to buy something the dog could swallow. I mean I love my dog why would I try to kill him. Dont be so prompt to judge. Read the question before you answer.
Oh brother :rolleyes:
When you gave it to your dog, you didn't happen to notice that your dog could swallow it, huh?
Please, after your dog recovers, find a caring, SAFE home for him.

JustAPal00

prlady, those are just estimates on the guidelines. You as the owner have to decide if your dog can swallow it. I have an American Bulldog that could crush one of those bones. We have to buy him Kong toys only. All others he destroys. Even though many of the toys I purchased early on said they were for his sized dog, he was able to break them. I learned by trial and error. Sorry about your dog, glad he's OK, but it's your respoonsibility!

Nativity

From what they have on their website I think the only action you have is to get a refund for your product.

It clearly states, several times that even for a small dog you may want to go with a larger size than the guidelines even say for different reasons. When you ordered the chew toy the company shipping it out didn't have a clue what kind of dog you had, what it's chewing habits were or anything, it was clearly your responsibility. It's unfortunate what happened, but in the end good that it all worked out and he is alright.

If you're struggling to pay back the vet try to see if they'll work something out with you; or else attempt to set up a fund for donations.

Nylabone Non-Edible Chews (Plastic, Rubber, Nylon), although non-toxic, are NOT intended for consumption. During normal chewing, tiny bristle-like projections are raised, which help clean teeth. If these tiny pieces (no larger than a small grain of rice) are ingested, they should pass through. However, a dog should not be able to break off large pieces of any Nylabone Chew.

Not every formulation is appropriate for every dog: Many dogs use Flexible, Dental and Rhino products successfully, but there are those that are simply too strong for their formulations. For these stronger chewers, we recommend harder nylon Durable chews.

Make sure you select the appropriate formulation and size product for your dog. If you have more than one dog in your household, select chews appropriate for the largest, strongest chewer. We recommend that you supervise the use of these all chews and toys!! Nylabone products should not be given to young children or to pets other than dogs.

No dog toy or chew is totally indestructible. Frequently inspect your Nylabone before giving it to your dog to make sure it's whole and intact, with no missing pieces. Replace your Non-Edible Chew when knuckle ends are worn down, or if it becomes too small for your dog to chew safely. If you think your dog swallowed a piece of a Non-Edible Chew larger than ¼ inch, promptly take the chew away from the dog and contact your veterinarian for advice.

To clean Nylabone Non-Edible Chews, scrub with a brush under warm water, using mild, non-toxic detergent, and rinse thoroughly. Inspect for wear while cleaning. Nylabone Non-Edible Chews and Toys should not be autoclaved, boiled, placed in a dishwasher, washing machine, convection or microwave oven.

If you are dissatisfied with your purchase, please return it to Nylabone within 30 days. If you provide your dog's breed, age and weight, and your mailing address, we can replace it with something more appropriate. If you prefer a refund of your purchase price and tax, please include your receipt.

Nylabone Consumer Care Department
PO Box 427; Neptune, NJ 07754-0427
[email protected]
732-897-6897

Zigner

Hey Zigner as many can see you are a real *******, obviously cant read or too ignorant to understand big words, use a dictionary and get a life Ass.
Even after that wonderful post, the fact remains that it was YOUR responsibility to properly supervise your dog. Poor puppy...

VeronicaLodge

then how is it nyla's fault that your dog managed to get it down its throat? ive used nyla bones myself for 10 years with 3 different size and types of dogs and have never had this problem.

eakub2006

I don't know anything about legal stuff, but I think everyone here is right. It was your responsibility to supervise your dog while it was chewing on the bone. You would be surprised, but there are dogs out there that are more... um... persistent than other dogs. You should know what your dog is and is not capable of doing.

ariastar

Dogs toys are labeled to be used with supervision only. Either your dog can swallow things other dogs his size can't, or he chewed off a part and you were lax in your supervision, if you watched him at all.

Your fault.

Lost Dogs ALPL

Prlady51 Nylabone Incident

Even though it's been five years since this thread was asked and (wrongly) answered.. I would like to show my support to the owner and woman who clearly followed the instructions based on the package... For those in the 'real world' of dog ownership this happens whether you are there or not. The product was specified as unbreakable/un-splintable and also she bought the recommended size for her dog... IF your dog 'swallows' the supposed 'inedible' Nylabone even though the large size should have deterred that :eek: Picture this idiots.. in the real world a dog is chewing, chewing, chewing and then swallowed..!!! What idiot thinks that supervision is monitoring their dog three inches away.. and then 'oops' it's swallowed - and you think we as Owners can stop that happening in a fraction of a second..??? :confused: Very sad for both dog and family, hopefully the dog made a full recovery... :)
Despite these idiots discention and unhelpful advice - I hope you contacted the manufacturer and reported the incident, also that the Vet Clinic also reported the incident to the manufacturer as professionals should, and at the very least the manufacturer acted upon your information and changed their packaging with your breeds size and recommend a size larger...

Last edited by a moderator:

justalayman

Yet with all of that you never provided anything other than your incorrect assumption that the advice given was incorrect. Sorry Charlie. You are confusing lack of compassion (for the owner mind you as much compassion was expressed towards the dog) with incorrect advice. Even in your glorious return years later you are simply wrong. Manufacturers recommendations are just that: general recommendations. It is the end users obligation to verify the proper product was given to the dog. The owner failed and due to that, there is No liability on the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">