• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oby malpractice and neglect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

droit

I had preterm labor signs (i did not know at that time that these were called preterm labor signs) and informed my oby, he told me to come back in a week. i decided to change doctor that day because i got offended that i was still talking to him and he turned his head toward the window and handed me the bill to go to the "cash machine" .

That day i made an appointment with another oby and saw him a week later instead of the first one. My nightmare started, i was admitted to the hospital for emergency. i found out the same day that one of my twins was dead and the other was going to follow. Booldwork on me revealed terrible health and i was not aware of it thinking that my first oby knew what he was doing.

The second doctor panicked to have a patient send to the emergency on the first visit. I believe he was afraid to be sued and responsible for the death of the twin or may be he is covering for the first doctor not to be involved in any malpractice lawsuit. When i went to check my records in the hospital i found out that the new oby put wrong info (wrote things that i never told him and did put what i told him) and covered the negligence part of the first doctor.

My question is:

Do i have a case

I have my records from the first oby proving that i gave him all the signs of the preterm labor that he ignored

i am grateful to the second oby who saved one of my babie, i do not want him to be involved in this (he won't help anyways) but i am so upset that he put on his report lies (making me responsible for what happened). He couldn't of course change the ultrasound report and bloodwork report that i had.

How am i suppose to handle this and do you think a lawyer can help. I went through a great deal of trauma 2 months ago that i can't forget or forgive. Why do doctors protect each other when one is at fault.

I also think that the second oby office contacted the first oby office to let them know the situation (first oby tried to call me and send me a registered mail full of lies).

Please help me understand what's going on.

Thank you

vrzirn

You do not say how "far along" you were. You do not say if the doctor examined you and heard two heartbeats. If both fetuses were alive then, there is no way of knowing when one fetus died during that intervening week between doctor visits. Your lab values would be abnormal if you were carrying a dead fetus. A death in utero is unfortunate but not uncommon.
It is too bad you are so easily offended that you would impetuously switch doctors over such a minor incident. If you were feeling ill during that week I wonder if you called either of the doctors.
There are too many important facts omitted from your post.You are free to have your records reviewed by an attorney but I do not think you have any case at all. You are fortunate you have a healthy baby.

Last edited:
D

droit

Thank you very much for your answer.

I was 33 weeks pregnant on my last visit . No the first oby did not listen to the heartbeat and did not check me. Although my records show that he was informed of bleeding and cramps that i had that day with an incredible ear pain. He did not have the resul of my last ultrasound (it was somewhere on his desk). I had a bloodwork done in november with him that showed out of range numbers and he never repeated it. He prescribed a diet of 1500 calories while i was pregnant with twins.

Nothing else happened to me that week. When i saw the second oby he had to check me phys. to feel the contractions. I had frequent contractions that i did not feel. I was conviced that i was doing fine this is the scary part.

Thank you

vrzirn

Your response only generates more questions in my mind. For instance-What lab values were unusual and how far from the norm? Were you terribly overweight that he would suggest a 1500 calorie diet? What about that "incredible earache"? You describe "bleeding" but most likely it was "spotting". Because he did not have the ultrasound report at hand does not mean he had not seen it.
Somehow, I think your relationship with this doctor was difficult.I have only your obviously biased side of the story. The sequence of events presented by the two doctors is probably entirely different.
It is the goal of every OBGyn to safely deliver a mother at term of a healthy baby. It is devastating for him when that does not occur.
I still do not believe you have cause for a successful lawsuit.
Enjoy your child and good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">