• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

old tires sold as new

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbud333

What is the name of your state? California
I was watching a report on 20/20 last night about stores selling tires that may be dangerous to you because although they have never been used (being sold as new)they have been sitting on a shelf somewhere for years. Rubber breaks down after time and the older tire will fall apart upon normal use. It is reccommended that tires not be used after 6 years. There is a code on the side of each tire that tells you the date it was made, look for the word DOT and look at the last 3 or 4 numbers at the end. This tell you the week it was made and the year . I just purchased a set of 4 tires about 5 months ago from Firestone. Upon looking at the codes it seems I did get two new front tires according to the code 0407 meaning they were made the 4th week of the year 2007, however one of the back ones says 601 meaning it was made in the 6th week of 2001. The other rear one says 1152. My question is what date does that make it? Would you go back to Firestone and insist that they replace the rear ones with newer tires?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? California
I was watching a report on 20/20 last night about stores selling tires that may be dangerous to you because although they have never been used (being sold as new)they have been sitting on a shelf somewhere for years. Rubber breaks down after time and the older tire will fall apart upon normal use. It is reccommended that tires not be used after 6 years. There is a code on the side of each tire that tells you the date it was made, look for the word DOT and look at the last 3 or 4 numbers at the end. This tell you the week it was made and the year . I just purchased a set of 4 tires about 5 months ago from Firestone. Upon looking at the codes it seems I did get two new front tires according to the code 0407 meaning they were made the 4th week of the year 2007, however one of the back ones says 601 meaning it was made in the 60th week of 2001. The other rear one says 1152. My question is what date does that make it? Would you go back to Firestone and insist that they replace the rear ones with newer tires?
1) This is a legal advice site - not an automotive site.
2) There IS no 60th week of 2001 - you must have misunderstood something.

tbud333

old tire sold as new

Sorry, I thought that this was a site for people looking for ADVICE. And I am sorry about the type-o, the tire was made in the 6th week of 2001. I also posted this under the topic of Dangerous or Defective Products, Which I believe this is, so before you go blowing me off and sending me to an automotive site maybe you can grasp reality here in that people have died because of this cover-up of selling a tire over 6 years old as new and give me some advice on what I should do about my recent purchase of so called NEW tires. So, is there anyone else out there besides you that can tell me what THEY would do?

Ozark_Sophist

I saw the same episode. The deal is you bought new tires. Yes, they are old--but they were never used, so new.

There is nothing prohibiting tire companies from selling old age new tires.

tbud333

Old tires sold as new

I know that there is nothing prohibiting them from selling "old" new tires. BUT, knowing What I Know Now - They can go ahead and keep selling them, I'm just not going to buy them. I won't buy expired milk either. And I bet the next time you go in for tires you will be looking at the date on them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">