• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Peanut Butter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ozark_Sophist

What is the name of your state? Missouri

Last fall, I remarked to Mrs. Ozark_Sophist I seemed to be developing a reaction to peanut butter, which would be unfortunate because I love Peanut Butter. I continued eating PB occasionally, but not as regular as I had before. Now it turns out I probably developed Salmonella from the PB. We recycle and all the lids we have are listed in the recall.

Fortunately, I have no damages and only missed a few classes due to illness, so I have no intention on suing. I spent a week in ICU as a teenager as a result of food borne illness, so I know the difference between mild discomfort and near death food experience.

I have a hard time believing that since May of last year the PB has been contaminated. My disbelief stems from HACCP programs that should have been instituted at the production facility. I have 9 years of experience with food service production and sanitation. There would have to be a serious oopsy such as an unidentified CCP or a production change to result in the long term problem this plant has experienced.

The liability issues seem interesting.

coleman24

peter pan

Hi sorry you were sick.I live in ky. and I had the same peter pan with #2111 and I got pretty sick too. Its hard to trust the food industry.:(

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Missouri

Last fall, I remarked to Mrs. Ozark_Sophist I seemed to be developing a reaction to peanut butter, which would be unfortunate because I love Peanut Butter. I continued eating PB occasionally, but not as regular as I had before. Now it turns out I probably developed Salmonella from the PB. We recycle and all the lids we have are listed in the recall.

Fortunately, I have no damages and only missed a few classes due to illness, so I have no intention on suing. I spent a week in ICU as a teenager as a result of food borne illness, so I know the difference between mild discomfort and near death food experience.

I have a hard time believing that since May of last year the PB has been contaminated. My disbelief stems from HACCP programs that should have been instituted at the production facility. I have 9 years of experience with food service production and sanitation. There would have to be a serious oopsy such as an unidentified CCP or a production change to result in the long term problem this plant has experienced.

The liability issues seem interesting.
That is interesting, though. I"ve got lots of peanut butter at my house, but since we don't regularly eat it, I didn't really pay attention to the recall. Now, I've got to go search my cabinets. Thanks for this thread, or I wouldn't have remembered. I was actually going to make PB&J sandwiches this morning (for lunch later), but didn't, since I acidentally pulled out the lunch meat instead, and was too lazy to change. Hmmmmmmmm.

racer72

I got a check for #3.49 for the supposedly bad peanut butter plus a bunch of coupons for free Con Agra products. All I did was send in them the lid.

Ozark_Sophist

Mrs. Ozark_Sophist simply returned the PB to Wally World and bought a different brand, which she found out tastes better anyway.

xylene

Mrs. Ozark_Sophist simply returned the PB to Wally World and bought a different brand, which she found out tastes better anyway.
BTW Wally World Store Brand is Peter Pan...

Millions of tubs of PB were sold with this lot. Only a few people got sick.

My feeling is that, like with the spinach hysteria, the governement is overplaying its hand with contamination of vegetable products, while denying severe National and nearly universal meat based contaminations... Damn lobbyists.

I don't recall that ALL beef was recalled like spinach when BSE was found to be (and remain) a serious issue.

Well bottom line I am sorry if ConAgra made you sick. Feel better. :)

panzertanker

BTW Wally World Store Brand is Peter Pan...

Millions of tubs of PB were sold with this lot. Only a few people got sick.

My feeling is that, like with the spinach hysteria, the governement is overplaying its hand with contamination of vegetable products, while denying severe National and nearly universal meat based contaminations... Damn lobbyists.

I don't recall that ALL beef was recalled like spinach when BSE was found to be (and remain) a serious issue.

Well bottom line I am sorry if ConAgra made you sick. Feel better. :)
Interestingly enough...I have a pt that complained of intermittent diarrhea for 2 months. His daughter called me yesterday and said that she found out he had 2 jars of the "tainted" PB. She got rid of it a few weeks ago and says that his diarrhea has stopped...

Curious how many low grade gastroenteritis complaints went unnoticed due to chronic re-infection from use of tainted PB...?

loveumms

I got a check for #3.49 for the supposedly bad peanut butter plus a bunch of coupons for free Con Agra products. All I did was send in them the lid.

That sucks, I threw mine out since I thought you had to send in the whole jar (which would have cost just as much as buying a new jar). I actually got sick from the PB but, figured a little vomiting and diarrhea isn't a reason for a suit.

eric for ohio

We ONLY use JIF in our house! It tastes better, spreads easier, and since it is not used for "off brand" use, the quality will almost always be better. The do not use the same quality ingredients in Wall word PB as Jif. they use lower quality peanuts and other products on all "generic" products. That is why the cost is lower. You tend to get what you pay for.

Ozark_Sophist

I worked factory food service production for almost ten years. The products we manufactured for Wally World were made with the same ingredients, same proportions as our name brand (he,he,he:p ;) ) products. Packaging (product box) is cheaper, largely because Wally World permits the use of a different grade of recycled cardboard. Some name brands don't want any recycled (recycled cardboard tends to contain metals that wreck havoc on our metal detection equipment). The production change from one formulation to another would cost more in downtime (like a $100,000 an hour) than the savings generated from substituting inferior ingredients. At the store, Wally World brand was 1/3 to 1/4 of the cost of the name brand for the same product.

eric for ohio

I worked factory food service production for almost ten years. The products we manufactured for Wally World were made with the same ingredients, same proportions as our name brand (he,he,he:p ;) ) products. Packaging (product box) is cheaper, largely because Wally World permits the use of a different grade of recycled cardboard. Some name brands don't want any recycled (recycled cardboard tends to contain metals that wreck havoc on our metal detection equipment). The production change from one formulation to another would cost more in downtime (like a $100,000 an hour) than the savings generated from substituting inferior ingredients. At the store, Wally World brand was 1/3 to 1/4 of the cost of the name brand for the same product.
When I was a manager of a Meijer I went to tour the Potato Chip plant that made the store brand with Fred Meijer (the owner of the company). We had arranged for the company to have our brand running on the line when he would be there. The management of the plant told me they used a lower grade potato for all the "off brands".

Red Gold Tomato products in Elwood Indian also used the lesser graded tomatoes to make "off grade" products. They lower grade tomatoes were pulled aside and ran later for the off brand. That entire town stunk all fall, It still does when we go back to visit. Its my wife’s hometown, and her father worked there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">