• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Physical Therapy ordered by doctor went wrong

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mantrabowen

YOUR STATE NAME - Florida...I had a total shoulder replacement and I never got my full range of motion back. I started seeing a Dr. here in Florida that recommended his team of therapist to help me recover my range of motion. Since going through the therapy it is worse now than ever and pinned to my side because of the pain. The therapist was unusuall rough and pounded with his fist on my shoulder. Now I am in severe pain and can not use my shoulder at all. Do I have a malpractice suit? Whom would it be against the Doctor or his Therapist? Pamela

vrzirn

What was your original differential diagnosis for your shoulder? In other words, very specifically, what was wrong with it that required surgery? Was conservative treatment tried first? Exactly what was done during the surgery? What are the time frames?

Last edited:
M

Mantrabowen

Dear Vrzim, Thank-you for replying. I will answer each question in the order that you asked them. (1)I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis for 18 years. I have had 2 total knee replacements, arthrodesis of both wrists, a C-2/3 fusion and my total shoulder replacement. Except for the C-2/3 fusion, no alternative action or therapy was done, I basically went in to see an orthopedic surgeon, he took X-rays and scheduled all the surgeries. Two different Dr.s in the same clinic did the work. On my shoulder replacement no alternative treatment was done, he just told me it had to be replaced.(2) I have no idea the details of the surgery, all I know is they gave me a total shoulder replacement and I have not been able to use it. (3) This is where the Dr. and physical therapist come in, in Florida and now it is worse than ever. Thanking you in advance for your ideas and I look forward to hear from you again. Pamela

vrzirn

What have your knees, wrists,fusion, got to do with your shoulder? What was wrong with your shoulder that required surgery? How well could you use it before the surgery? When was the surgery and when did you seek the help of this Florida therapist?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

vrzirn said:
What have your knees, wrists,fusion, got to do with your shoulder?
My response:

Oh, c'mon, vrzirn !

Of all people, you should know this . . .

"The knee bone's connected to the . . . leg bone. The leg bone's connected to the . . . hip bone. The hip bone's connected to the . . . back bone. The back bone's connected to the . . ."

Well, you know the rest.

I mean, how much more obvious can this be?

IAAL

vrzirn

Under usual circumstances, IAAL, that would be true. A critical attachment from the neck bone to a functioning head-bone must be present. That last connection permits the following of directions.
However, speaking seriously and medically, what the patient brings to the table (operating room table) has a great deal to do with the outcome.
Rheumatoid arthritis of the shoulder is a progressive and destructive joint disease with unpredictable results. Total shoulder replacement often yields satisfactory short and long term results and pain relief is reliable and significant. However, deteriorating results, emphasizing the complexity of shoulder arthroplasty, were seen with increasing observation time in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
The most common complication is rotator cuff failure.
Physical therapy constitutes an essential determinant of clinical outcome after total shoulder arthroplasty. Patients with a diagnosis of rheumatoid ,traumatic arthritis and osteonecrosis were identified as being at risk for failure to regain motion and for tendon healing complications.
So, dear poster, you do the best you can with what you have. RA is a painful and chronic condition but you do not have anyone to sue. I do not believe that your Dow Corning breast implants are responsible either.
Good luck to you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

vrzirn said:
I do not believe that your Dow Corning breast implants are responsible either.
My response:

I am just rolling on my back, with my legs kicking in the air, laughing my guts out!

That was very, very good, vrzirn. See you on the boards, kiddo.

IAAL

M

Mantrabowen

To both of you that replied, This may just be hilarious to you but then again you don't have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus and fibromyalgia and it sounds like no one in your family does or you would not take this so lightly. I am really glad that both of you are blessed with good health because I would not wish this on anyone. I would think that both of you take for granted your health but of course you do not go to bed at night wondering if you will be able to get out of bed in the morning. Thanks so much for your caring, informative replies. Pamela

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">