• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem At Car Dealership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jackflash50

Hello, I live in CT and had a terrible experience at the dealership where I purchased my vehicle. I'm not exactly sure where to post this so maybe someone can help.
I purchased the vehicle and that went just fine. No lemon law issues etc but I had a major problem when I brought the car back to get some work performed.
I stopped back at the dealership to get an oil change & tire rotation. After leaving I had a car flag me down about 2 miles from the dealership telling me to pull over. The dealership put the all 4 tires back on my vehicle & also put the cap over all the lug nuts (2004 Ford Sport Trac) BUT did not tighten any of the lug nuts on my back passenger side tire. When the cap was removed we found all 4 lug nuts had been placed on the threads by hand but not tightened at all. there was about 1/2" of thread between the rim & the lug nut.
Had this car not flagged me down I would have been on a highway going 65 mph. Can you imagine what could have happned had my tire fell off my vehicle at 65 mph??? I called the dealership, they sent a worker out to tighten the nuts and when I returned to the dealership the only thing the owner could say to me was "sorry". I asked him what would have happened had my 8 yr old daughter been in the car and they tire fell off while on the highway and his response was "good thing we have insurance".
Do I have any legal options against this dealership due to negligence??? PLEASE HELP.
Or should I just get off my soap box and figure it was a mistake and it's over so just count my blessings that the tire did not fall off.

racer72

Take the vehicle to an independant mechanic, a local tire shop can handle it, and have all the lug studs inspected where the tire was loose. Driving with lose lug nuts will damage the studs. If any of the studs are damaged, take the vehicle back to the dealer and have them changed.

justalayman

I agree with racer except one thing.

I would not allow the garage to fix the studs, unlesss, you want them to. I would go to another garage and take the bill to the garage for reimbursement.

Have the wheel checked as well. It can be damaged by this situation as well and would more than likely be the most expensive part damaged.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">