• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Product liability??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melissabriggs1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I own a retail garden center. A customer (Thea) purchased 6 bags of mulch. It had rained two inches the day prior. Unfortunately, the bags were wet and apparently leaked in her Cadillac Escalade. She called my store and I apologized for that happening. She was quite riled, mad, and told me she would never shop at my store again because of the mulch. I sell thousands and thousands of bags of mulch a year and never have had a customer complaint. The next week I get a "bill" from an auto detail shop. The bill is addressed to me and telling me to pay Thea $150 for shampoo and vacuuming of her "stained vehicle". Am I in any way liable for this. It was an unfortunate incident but where does product liability end? What am I to do?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I own a retail garden center. A customer (Thea) purchased 6 bags of mulch. It had rained two inches the day prior. Unfortunately, the bags were wet and apparently leaked in her Cadillac Escalade. She called my store and I apologized for that happening. She was quite riled, mad, and told me she would never shop at my store again because of the mulch. I sell thousands and thousands of bags of mulch a year and never have had a customer complaint. The next week I get a "bill" from an auto detail shop. The bill is addressed to me and telling me to pay Thea $150 for shampoo and vacuuming of her "stained vehicle". Am I in any way liable for this. It was an unfortunate incident but where does product liability end? What am I to do?
No, you are not liable for getting the woman's Cadillac Escalade dirty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">