• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Release of Medical records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KristaCO

What is the name of your state? CO

I asked my oral surgeon to release my medical records to me.
They told me that they would not release them to me, only to another dentist. Is that legal?

vrzirn

The physical records belong to the doctor. The information in them belongs to you and you are entitled to a copy. Write to his office and request it. They will charge you a nominal sum for providing the copy.

K

KristaCO

The office told me that they are "legal documents" and I cannot have them.

I had already signed the release form and paid them $15.00 to receive them about 3 weeks ago. They hadn't arrived, so I called to follow-up. At that time they told me I could not have them even if I went up to the office (with ID) to get them.

Do you recommend filing a complaint with the Dental Association?

Thanks for your response!

vrzirn

Speak to the surgeon directly. If he refuses to provide the copy, complain to his board in writing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">