• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Robi-Comb (battery operated lice detector/killer)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I live in Lafayette, Indiana. I bought a "Robi-Comb" from the local Meijer store for about $25.00. (Robi-Comb is a battery operated (2 AA batteries) comb that is used to "electrocute" head lice. My children attend a school where head lice are a common occurance, thus, to keep from using so many pesticides, I bought this comb because it claimed " a 2 minute combing once a week would prevent re-infestation." The last occurance of lice in our household has been about a year, but I, myself, kept a steady regimen of once a week combing because I was so disturbed about the thought of bugs in my hair. My children used the comb about once a month or less. 8 months ago, I started noticing my hair breaking off almost at the roots. (where the directions tell you to begin combing.) I never thought about the Robi-Comb causing the breakage, but 2 days ago, I did a quick comb through of my 4 year old daughters hair. THEN I noticed pieces of HER hair in the RobiComb, and they were broken off. My daughter is a healthy 4 year-old and I am a healthy 43 year old. My 6 year old son has breakage, also, but his hair is always kept pretty short so it is not as noticable. Last year, my hair was shoulder-length, and today it is about 1 inch long. There is no other explanation for the hair loss except the RobiComb.
Do I have a case?? If so, can someone please tell me what steps to take?? THanks! Thumbelina

No one has a suggestion??

PLEASE you guys- 14 people have read this post and no one even has an idea they can pass along to me?? Wher else can I go for help with this, besides callin gup 10 different attorneys and listenning to what they have to say. I just want an idea- Do I have AN ISSUE HERE or not?? THANKS again, Thumbelina

racer72

Why did you keep using the product if you feel it is defective? Did the product prevent reinfestation of the head lice? Loss of hair is generally not considered a personal injury or something that someone could sue over. The hair will grow back. Other than attempting to obtain a refund for the product, you do not have anything to sue over.

dimond58

hair

sounds like you have been giving your self and kids electrolisis! think about it! allthough its been in a lower voltage. try going to consumer protection agency to see if their are other complaints about this product and or recalls. if not file a complaint then look for a attorney. now dont take me wrong but ,did the product have a warning about this? why did you keep using the product? why have you waited so long to complain? these are some questions that will probably will be ask. good luck

Hi ,
I waited so long to complain because I didn't realize the RobiComb was breaking my hair at the root. It took me this long for it to "click" you know what I mean??
No, there is no warning about breaking off your hair.
Is one of you saying that it's OK for a product to break my hair like this? I don't even have a reason to sue?? I mean, a woman spilled hot coffee in her lap and SHE had a lawsuit? My hair will grow back, yes, but her lap cooled off and her dress was washed and dried... what's your point?
THANX!!

dimond58

the woman with the coffee had 3ed degree burns. she and or her attorney did their homework they found out that the coffee pot had been reported several times and no one would fix the theromastat. that is what you must do find out if their have been other complaints or other actions befor. if not you must start the ball rolling.

S

shirley22

Ok when I read what you said It came to me another crap case. The reason your hair is breaking what all most any doctor will tell you. You combing to hard hair can not take a lot of strss by pulling on it and what not can have problems. Having lice eats the scalp so there you would have a problem ever proving this product was doing harm. when you got issues with head lice off an on over a periode of time it does do damage to the scapl and hair hello so you want to know why the hair breaks and so on. common sense would tell you why. You don't really have a casemost judges would throw it right out of court. I guess everyone is looking to get there hands in someone elses pockets.
I do know what i'm talking about I have studyed law for many years. I have hear cases like yours and they never got anywhere. It sounds like to me you want something done about your to stop doing this will talk to the school send your children to school with there hair covored in some schools in the us parents do this and becasue of the head lice problem no one can stop you from doing so.

re: lice comb and Miss Shirleys' comments

Miss Shirley,

Oh, my lord, missy. You have ME all wrong!! In the first place, I am not interested in "getting my hands in someone elses' pocket." Although I am in the position where I have had many others "get into MY pockets!" And successfully, I might add. So, that theory is out-the-door.
Also, I believe, although I am not sure, I stated that I used the Robi-Comb TO PREVENT REINFESTATIONS. Not to keep killing lice. I have not seen a louse or an egg in MY hair. It is very short and I wash, dry and condition it regularly, The latter of which will paralize a louse long enough to rinse them out. Which, incidently is very effective and also safer than using lice-killing products on a regular basis.
Since you seem so informative about Lice, I assume either you've had them regularily yourself, experienced them yourself, or you knew everything I just posted. How EXACTLY would you feelif your own hair had gone from shoulder length to less than a half of an inch in less that one year. I was not attempting to get into anyones' pocket. This is more of a mental/psychological issue. My self-esteem is low. I am embarassed to go in public with the appearance of my hair, and I am totally distraught that this has happened to me, especially since I am 42 years old, and my 2 small children are involved in many activities I no longer attend.
Perhaps you may be "educated" in law procedure, etc. etc. , but it is apparant in your post that you are not well-versed in the English language, or in the punctuation of it, as you post is full of grammatical and punctuational errors.
I refuse to entertain your ignorant behavior, so I'll not attack your post as you did mine. Have a great day.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Yes, while "Shirley" is sometimes interesting to "read," and even less informative, I must agree with our writer that "Shirley" is, at best, difficult to "read" - - due in large part to all of "Shirley's" misspelling and grammatical errors.

I'm absolutely sure, however, that "Shirley" has some good things to say and is eager to assist on these Boards with her opinions; but, when there's a problem in communicating those opinions, it really makes reading "Shirley's" posts more difficult to "get through" than they're worth - - to the point where it's too painful to completely read her responses.

Shirley was absent during the week that punctuation was being taught.

Keep trying Shirley !

IAAL

Last edited:
Hello, IIAL...........

Why, hello, IIAL..... You've read my posts before regarding everyone elses' attempts to get into my pocket. You've even helped me on several questions. Never got much of a smarty-pants answer like Shirleys' before. I was VERY offended. Especially with the part obout "... if you've had an ongoing...... you've gonna have problems with your hair and scalp, HELLO!!"
That really made me see red. Do I sound ignorant, here??

Thanks again for your reply, IIAL... I feel better now!! ;)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Ahem, ahem ! !

It's " IAAL ".

Everyone else's attempts to get into your pockets ?

I can assure you, my dear lady, I have never attempted to get into your pockets !

(In the voice of Groucho Marx) However, if your pocket is big enough, I hope you don't mind if I dive in ! !

And, you actually made it through Shirley's response far enough to get offended ? Well then, you're better than I am. I couldn't make it past the third sentence - - of course, I'm only guessing that it was the third sentence - - there was no period to let me know it had ended !

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">