• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rubber seals going out on ice machine? Rubber in my drink.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

x86

Minnesota.

Today I was at a local Subway restaurant, getting a sub and a drink. They handed me the cup, i went and put ice in, then some Vault soda, put the cap on, inserted straw,began to drink. Sounds normalright? well i sucked something up, that was hard,just wouldnt crush like a little piece of ice would. Itook off the cap, and there is black stuff all over floating on top of my drink. I'm like what thehell, so I went to the manager, and said 'what is this stuff in my drink, and what is it'' and they go 'thats nasty stuff!' then takes it from me and throws it away, and gives me a nother glass and says TRY AGAIN, the ice machine does that sometimes. I'm like... no, and walked out, disgusted at what happened and the fact they knew about it. So about half an hour later i develop horrible stomach cramps ( i have IBS anyways) and have diarraha. So i tell my mom, and she drives me back to the subway, asks for a glass, and gets ice. Sure enough, theres this BLACK **** frozen into my ice. We take pics, document what happened, etc, and she talks to the manager (not the same one asbefore). He says oh ya, the seals are going out on that machine, it does that somtimes. She proceeds to tell him the obvious reasons why that isn't ok. She tells him what happened earlier, and he goes well I wasnt here and didnt see it. she pointed out the 3 cameras in the store, that recorded the event, and he pretty much gives her the runaround, but eventually decideshe'll take down her info for the owner to call her later.

So basically, I drank soda that had pieces of rubber sealing stuff in it, 2 employees confirmed that they knew it was a problem and did nothing about it, and I got sick.

I plan on filing a complaint with the health department..... do I have a 'case'? I read about people getting large out of court settlements all the time for stuff like this (and they didnt even get sick). Its not really important, I'm more interested in them changing to a new ice machine so other people don't have to deal with it, because I'm obviously not the first one to have this problem! Thanks.

It is very unlikely the rubber itself caused you stomach ache or cramps. I use to work as a Rubber Chemist (go ahead with jokes I hav heard them all lol) Rubber is used in almost every piece of machinery known to man. In fact rubber parts that go into anything that has contact with food must meet FDA and use only FDA ingredients. Test are done to make sure the rubber compounds meet FDA requirements. Where I certainly would not want to eat this rubber its doubtful it caused your problem!

x86

thats the problem with you doctors these days. You think you know it all when it comes to anything medical related. Are you a gastroentorolgist? If only everything could be solved with Pepto Bismol...
Yes I got an upset stomach. It wouldn't be a problem if it was the food that caused it, I get stomach aches from a variety of things. Its the fact there was non FDA approved rubber in contact with my soda, that is the big issue.

Way to have a witty, satrical post....'doc'

BelizeBreeze

thats the problem with you doctors these days. You think you know it all when it comes to anything medical related. Are you a gastroentorolgist? If only everything could be solved with Pepto Bismol...
Yes I got an upset stomach. It wouldn't be a problem if it was the food that caused it, I get stomach aches from a variety of things. Its the fact there was non FDA approved rubber in contact with my soda, that is the big issue.

Way to have a witty, satrical post....'doc'
No, you're right, the 'issue' "KID" is you having to prove that the rubber caused your tummy ache and that you suffered damages to the level that are compensible under law.

And it's MR. doc to you.

Read Fool

Try reading I never said I was a Doctor I said I was a Rubber Chemist not a medical Doctor! I also said it was "doubtful" rubber caused problem I never said that for sure. I also said rubber going into such machines must meet FDA requirements! Your saying it was non FDA approved show me how you know that! I gave you some answers based on my knowledge of Rubber and rubber products if you dont like it tough its fact! Now go spill some hot coffee from Mc D's on your lap and sue cause this one wont wash!

racer72

We're sorry, you did not win the Deep Pockets Lottery©, please accept our lovely parting gifts and please play again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">