• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

seed in raisin in raisin bread resulted in broken tooth- NYC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sylvia7111

I'm in NYC. I was eating bread and bit down and cracked a tooth, I have the pieces of my tooth. There was a seed inside the raisin, this was raisin bread. I didn't eat anymore of the bread in the loaf of course, and I have the bag with tag with date. I have the seed.

This product (the raisin bread) is a new product by an older bread company. I'm thinking they didn't have enough quality control in place before they rolled out this product.

Maybe this was not a seed. I just measured it, in length it is 1/3 of a dime and it is round, very hard.
I think it IS a seed.
If I was eating grapes with seeds I would be expecting to find seeds, eating raisin bread, I'm not expecting to find a hard seed.

If anyone bit down on this unexpectedly it would injure/break part or some of your tooth.

My dentist said at least 2k for new crown. Is this actionable?

Thank you for any advice/recommendations.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm in NYC. I was eating bread and bit down and cracked a tooth, I have the pieces of my tooth. There was a seed inside the raisin, this was raisin bread. I didn't eat anymore of the bread in the loaf of course, and I have the bag with tag with date. I have the seed.

This product (the raisin bread) is a new product by an older bread company. I'm thinking they didn't have enough quality control in place before they rolled out this product.

A seed is a naturally occurring object in grapes. Raisins are dried grapes.

quincy

A raisin seed broke your tooth?

It sounds as if your tooth was already weak. What did your dentist say about the tooth's condition prior to your incident?

You can let the bread company know you broke your tooth when eating their bread and see what they say. I do not see that you will have an easy time convincing the company, or a court, that the bread company is at fault but you can consult with an attorney in your area to assess the matter.

Sylvia7111

A seed is a naturally occurring object in grapes. Raisins are dried grapes.
Yes, I understand that, but if I was eating grapes with seeds I would be aware of seeds.

Are you saying then, in raisin bread that is soft and one does not expect to find a big, hard, raisin seed that it is normal, is it standard industry practice to anticipate seeds in the bread?

I've eaten raisin bread for years and never have bitten into anything hard.

quincy

Yes, I understand that, but if I was eating grapes with seeds I would be aware of seeds.

Are you saying then, in raisin bread that is soft and one does not expect to find a big, hard, raisin seed that it is normal, is it standard industry practice to anticipate seeds in the bread?

I've eaten raisin bread for years and never have bitten into anything hard.
I have eaten raisin bread for years, as well, and have never found a raisin seed so large that it would cause a problem. But, like bones in chicken and fish, and pits in cherries, and seeds in watermelons and grapes, these are naturally occurring even when efforts are made to remove them from food products.

And, quite frankly, I would much rather bite into a seed in a raisin than to eat some non-food item that the FDA allows in certain quantities (like rat hair and, apparently for hot dogs, human DNA).

So essentially, yes, you need to anticipate seeds and bones and pits that naturally occur in a food item, even when a product is called seedless or boneless or pit-less or assumed to be seedless or boneless or pit-less.

Good luck with the bread company.

Proserpina

I have eaten raisin bread for years, as well, and have never found a raisin seed so large that it would cause a problem. But, like bones in chicken and fish, and pits in cherries, and seeds in watermelons and grapes, these are naturally occurring even when efforts are made to remove them from food products.

And, quite frankly, I would much rather bite into a seed in a raisin than to eat some non-food item that the FDA allows in certain quantities (like rat hair and, apparently for hot dogs, human DNA).

So essentially, yes, you need to anticipate seeds and bones and pits that naturally occur in a food item, even when a product is called seedless or boneless or pit-less or assumed to be seedless or boneless or pit-less.

Good luck with the bread company.

Wait, what?!?!?!

Do they not understand that Soylent Green was a work of ... well, I guess it might not be a work of fiction after all!

single317dad

Wait, what?!?!?!

Do they not understand that Soylent Green was a work of ... well, I guess it might not be a work of fiction after all!
Don't worry, there's no actual people meat; the human DNA is injected directly into the pork in small doses over the pig's lifespan.

Or at least that's how my neighbor does it ;)

proud_parent

Wait, what?!?!?!

Speaking of... did you realize there is an actual meal replacement product on the market called Soylent? I kid you not; a coworker of mine drinks the stuff.

signalhill

My doctor recently recommended to have a few DATES in the morning to help lower my HBH; I prefer the seeded dates because I can afterwards plant and grow the seeds but my fave supermarket only stocks the 'Pitted' ones and sure enough there has always been a fragment of a seed in at least one of the dates per container!

On the labelling it does state CAUTION MAY CONTAIN PITS.

quincy

My doctor recently recommended to have a few DATES in the morning to help lower my HBH; I prefer the seeded dates because I can afterwards plant and grow the seeds but my fave supermarket only stocks the 'Pitted' ones and sure enough there has always been a fragment of a seed in at least one of the dates per container!

On the labelling it does state CAUTION MAY CONTAIN PITS.
Warning labels like the ones you find on your packaged dates are found on food products that naturally have seeds or pits, even when the food products are marketed as seedless or pit-less, as a legal precaution. If the label doesn't prevent a lawsuit, it will at the very least mitigate any damages that might be awarded should someone be successful with a suit.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">