• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seretonin Syndrome Prozac

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shane Paterson

Should I seek legal representation for side effects to my wife due to a SSRI drug called Fluoxetine? These SSRI drugs Prozac and its generic version Fluoxitine ar part of the antidipression drugs being perscribed like they were candy by family doctors. These drugs are dangerous. Even the manufacturer has a list of warning signs to look for if things are going wrong. My wife was perscribed 20mg per day and was on for 2-1/2 months before my wife literally went to Hell and back. She was told by the ER doctor and our family Doctor that she was suffering from a pannic attack. I even took a print out of her symptoms that matched the drug manufacturers Warning list that sujested she was suffering from Seritonin Syndrome to our doctor and he asked me how much medical experience I had and bumped her dose up to 30mg per day. She has had MRI's, X-rays, Blood tests, Urine anylisis and various others. She was finally diagionsed having Seritonin Syndrome which could have killed her. Jst google this syndrome and it will scare you. What should we do do we have any recourse? She is still suffering from Tremmors, Memory loss, gross motor skill loss and a feeling of doom, that she never had before taking the SSRI. Funny thing they put my wife on an antidipresent because she was having a hard minestral cycle. Even after being off the drug for more than two months. We have never heard a thing from our doctor since our requested visit. Help!

Immigranted

Serotonin Syndrome is a known (but not exactly common) possible effect of antidepressant drugs although most of the time it's linked to the older "tricylic" antidepressants and the MAO inhibitors, or when certain drugs are combined. Was your wife taking any other drugs that might have contributed?

I'm not a physician (I'm in drug research), but it's my understanding that most cases of SS are very short-lived and don't leave any long-term effects; it's more serious if it's untreated.

The other board members will clarify the legal position, but as it's a known risk, I'd be very doubtful you have any legal recourse. Also, every medicine carries a risk of some adverse effects; however there are millions of patients (most patients actually) taking these drugs who will never develop SS. The fact that there is a warning only bolsters the manufacturer's defense.

I'm sorry your wife had a bad experience, and I hope she's getting the appropriate treatment now.

Ozark_Sophist

There are warnings on every compound or chemical -- even dihydrogen monoxide can cause asphyxiation and/or swelling of the brain to the point of death. ;)

justalayman

Your action should not be against the manufacturer as this is a listed side effect which, regardless of it being listed, does not remove all possibility of liabity of the manufacturer but you action should be directed against your doctor. S/he discounted the possibility of the SS. IF your wife would have had less injury had the doctor acted properly, then the doctor is the reason for the injury, not the meds.

If the injury is short term, then your chances of recovery (financial) would be limited simply due to the fact she has or will recover. That does not preclude some level of recovery but it limits it greatly.

Shane Paterson

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. We are just scaird knowone around here knows much about SS. Just thought if I were to dig my heals in with legal representation we might get a response from someone on how to help my wife get better. I dont want any money just want someone to step up and figure out the problem.

Thank again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">