• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexist races

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dublinla

What is the name of your state? California
I participate every year on a triathlon race at Lake San Antonio. It is a beautiful course and very challenging too. The "but" is that when they organize the waves (about 14)they send out first the males from the youngest to the oldest and then the females from the youngest to the oldest. so me at 43 I am placed on the last wave and that is when they begin enforcing the cut off times. Guys 20yrs younger have a 45 min extra time to finish the race. I have complained about it to the directors and they just told me that maybe I should n't participate. I told them perhaps they should announce on their advertisement that they put the oldest women at the end or "prefered young males"
By the way, you do not see this on other well organized races.
Like the man said maybe I should find an easier race or one where they are fair and mix the age groups and genders.
I do not think so I like that course and I want to continue doing it even if I reach 60.
Any advise??

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And this has what to do with dangerous or defective products?

You might get better answers if you post on a more appropriate forum.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? California
I participate every year on a triathlon race at Lake San Antonio. It is a beautiful course and very challenging too. The "but" is that when they organize the waves (about 14)they send out first the males from the youngest to the oldest and then the females from the youngest to the oldest. so me at 43 I am placed on the last wave and that is when they begin enforcing the cut off times. Guys 20yrs younger have a 45 min extra time to finish the race. I have complained about it to the directors and they just told me that maybe I should n't participate. I told them perhaps they should announce on their advertisement that they put the oldest women at the end or "prefered young males"
By the way, you do not see this on other well organized races.
Like the man said maybe I should find an easier race or one where they are fair and mix the age groups and genders.
I do not think so I like that course and I want to continue doing it even if I reach 60.
Any advise??
You have 2 choices: Participate, or don't.

stephenk

You don't understand how the time is being kept. The first group doesn't have a 45 minute head start. They are timed from the moment the race starts for them until they finish.

Your time is adjusted from when you start not when the first young guy starts.

FlyingRon

I'm sure he understands that the wave start time is subtracted to make the net time. His time stinks obviously. What he is complaining about it would seem is that there is probably something like a 4 hour course limit (i.e., race starts at 8 and we pack up and go home at 12) so he feels cheated out of an addtional 45 minutes of time (only an issue if your time is really slow).

Well, really you should argue for longer cut-off times. It would be a disaster to send the fast guys out last and then everybody would bunch up overtaking the slow ones (which was the whole point of doing wave starts to begin with).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">