• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Simplicity Crib

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jwilliams23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

In February 2006 we purchased a Simplicity Crib. In May 2007, when my daughter was 11 months old, I was awoken by my [then] 3 year old son telling me that "sister is hurt, sister is crying."

I went into her room and, at first, I didn't see her but noticed the mattress was raised in the middle. I ran to her crib and she was underneath the mattress, hanging by her neck on the metal mattress support slats. I tried to pull her out from the top but I was unable to maneuver her around without hurting her further. She was crying but her cry was so hoarse and quite it was like a whisper. I'm not sure how long she had been like that before I found her. I crawled beneath the crib as best I could have somehow managed to free her from the metal slats. She had dark red marks on her neck where the metal had been pressed into her neck.

I immediately called my husband and my mom. I was so upset. I then called the manufacterer and was told that she was either too small or too big for the crib. (their theory was absurd!) They took down my information after I demanded a complete refund for the price of the crib. (we paid about 150.00 at walmart) When I hung up with them I called our local new station. I had no idea which way to proceed but I knew that something had to be done and my adrenaline was taking over. They were not interested in our story and suggested I contact the CPSC so I did. They were very informative and took down all my information and assured me that an investigation would ensue.

The local news station called me back about an hour later and asked if they could do a story on the accident. They showed up a few hours later and did their news story. As soon as my husband got home we took her to the ER to be checked out. She didn't have any obvious injuries aside from the marks and pale bruises but they told us to watch her in case there was nerve damage.

The CPSC came out about a month or two later and did a full investigation. A local lawyer took on our case but after a few months it fizzled into nothing. We eventually received a check from Simplicity for 120.00.

I have since kept researching online as much information about court cases and such involving this company. Even a year later I find myself extremely frustrated at the lack of concern with this company. Countless children have lost their lives due to the defect in their cribs yet they are still allowed to sell them all across the Nation.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know! I am not looking for monetary recourse as I don't believe we have any. I want this company to be held responsible for their malfunctioning cribs. If you are interested in seeing what this company has in its past. feel free to use the "search" feature at www.cpsc.gov The results are astounding.

Last edited by a moderator:

ecmst12

Your case is long since over. You did all you could have done and got all you're gonna get. The only thing you can do now is to move on, and for god's sake stop obsessing about it! Looking up stuff about this crib that you no longer have and in fact got your money back for, and which did not permanently harm your child, is only driving you crazy. Make yourself stop looking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">