• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sue Coke for Negligence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

InjuredOkie

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I own a small diner in Oklahoma, and ordered Coke in glass bottles from Coca-Cola. Upon arrival the vendor put the bottles in the refrigerator, which was the only beverage in the refrigerator at that particular time.

Within fifteen minutes after the Coke bottles had been placed in the refrigerator by the vendor, I went to the refrigerator to take out a bottle of Coke for a customer. Just as I reached in to pick up the bottle, a bottle exploded and a piece of glass struck me on my right cheek. I had to be under a doctor's care for approximately three weeks. The injury left a small scar on my face. I now suffer from neuritis, and have several medical bills.

I don't have any evidence showing carelessness or negligence by Coke, except that the bottle exploded and I was injured. Do I have a legal basis for winning a lawsuit against Coke?

Ozark_Sophist

The joy of working in a coke bottling facility was dodging the two liter rockets--plus all the coke products I could drink. A fresh two liter can puch a hole through things and leave the plastic bottle looking like it had been run over by a semi.

What did Coke say?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I own a small diner in Oklahoma, and ordered Coke in glass bottles from Coca-Cola. Upon arrival the vendor put the bottles in the refrigerator, which was the only beverage in the refrigerator at that particular time.

Within fifteen minutes after the Coke bottles had been placed in the refrigerator by the vendor, I went to the refrigerator to take out a bottle of Coke for a customer. Just as I reached in to pick up the bottle, a bottle exploded and a piece of glass struck me on my right cheek. I had to be under a doctor's care for approximately three weeks. The injury left a small scar on my face. I now suffer from neuritis, and have several medical bills.

I don't have any evidence showing carelessness or negligence by Coke, except that the bottle exploded and I was injured. Do I have a legal basis for winning a lawsuit against Coke?
We don't do homework.

EDIT: This is just a slight variation on Escola v Coca-Cola Bottling

Last edited:

InjuredOkie

The joy of working in a coke bottling facility was dodging the two liter rockets--plus all the coke products I could drink. A fresh two liter can puch a hole through things and leave the plastic bottle looking like it had been run over by a semi.

What did Coke say?
Coke blew me off since I don't have evidence of any wrongdoing on its part. If there was too much gas in the bottle, or it was cracked, then it could explode, right? But how can I prove either of those theories since the bottle is broken?

mommyof4

Who ever said fair and legal were synonymous? :cool:

If you want an answer to your question, conduct actual research. You have been given huge hints as to what to look for.

VeronicaLodge

So if there was a defect that Coke didn't know about, then there is no liability? That doesn't seem fair.
and is it fair to them to be liable for a defect they didnt know about?

what about the vending company that delivered the bottles? something could have happened in transport and placement, no?

InjuredOkie

and is it fair to them to be liable for a defect they didnt know about?

what about the vending company that delivered the bottles? something could have happened in transport and placement, no?
considering coke is the party that created the defect, my answer is yes it is fair for them to be liable. by the way, the vendor was a coke employee.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
considering coke is the party that created the defect, my answer is yes it is fair for them to be liable. by the way, the vendor was a coke employee.
Of course he was...that's one of the elements of the case you are studying!

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Apparently neither, JusticeSeeker1. It looks like this is a kid looking for homework help, which is very strongly discouraged here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">