• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tetracyclene stained teeth

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lynnbb

What is the name of your state? NY

when I was a kid, my doctor prescribed tetracyclene, which stained my teeth yellow. I've been told my teeth cannot be whitened.

do I have any sort of case against the manufacturer?

T

thepizzaguy

lynnbb said:

when I was a kid, my doctor prescribed tetracyclene, which stained my teeth yellow. I've been told my teeth cannot be whitened.

Good God it never ends.

I was prescribed tetracyclene for an STD when I was young and in the Marine Corp.

I didn't know it made your teeth brown, now I have to go upstairs and get rid of the Crest mouth rinse and look for brown teeth:eek:

Yeah you probably have a case, see a hungry (not the food kind of hungry) attorney:cool:

Betty

lynnbb said:

I'm surprised you were told your teeth cannot be whitened. There are procedures (treatments) dentists can do to whiten teeth stained by tetracyclene.
re having a case for stained teeth from being prescribed tetracyclene as a kid - I would say no! -- coffee, etc. can also stain you teeth.

rmet4nzkx

lynnbb said:

This is a known side effect of this Rx that is why it is rarely prescribed to children and pregnant or nursing women. So it is unlkely you have any cause of action re the Rx it's self, however you may for the doctor depending on the facts.
How old are you now?
How old when you were administered the Rx?
What was the infecthon?
Does this affect baby or adult theeth?
If your theeth don't respond to whitening treatments perhaps there is a cosmetic remedy available.

lealea1005

My husband has stained teeth from being given tetracycline as a very young child for a severe infection. Given the fact that it was the drug of choice at the time (he's allergic to penicillin) and the alternative could have been loss of life, I think I'm safe in assuming he's not thinking of suing some one because his teeth are stained.

hazeysky

Are you on Drugs??? Come on now! Are you grasping at straws in an attempt to sue someone?? Anyone who you can financially benefit from?? Do you live in the real world??
from your post, many would wonder******************************************.wow..

rmet4nzkx

lealea1005 said:
My husband has stained teeth from being given tetracycline as a very young child for a severe infection. Given the fact that it was the drug of choice at the time (he's allergic to penicillin) and the alternative could have been loss of life, I think I'm safe in assuming he's not thinking of suing some one because his teeth are stained.
That is why I asked for some more information. My son as an 8 day old infant was given this Rx for an infection (Klebsiella), there was no known allergy. The pharmacist questioned it, because it was cas contraindicated and required special order, but the doctor insisted my 8 day old infant might otherwise die and it was the only Rx effective for this infection. It not only discolored the crowns of his baby theeth it also mishaped them as well, luckily it didn't affect his permenant theeth. My child faced a lot of teasing as he grew up until he lost the baby theeth. It turns out the infection could have been effectively treated with another Rx available at the time and was informed of this by subsequent doctors, but it was an emergency situation and we had no choice. It turns out the old family doctor was miserible out of date. Another friend's child about the same age but liven in Afganistan where her parents were Missionaries, was given the same Drug because it was all that was available, it not only affected her permenant theeth but also her hearing. That is why I asked more questions to determine if the physician was negligent.

lealea1005

Hi rmet....

If tetracycline was given to the OP more than 25-30 years ago, it was the drug of choice then and the standard of care. When Tetracycline came out, they were not aware of the staining of the teeth side effect. There are some costetic ways of covering the stains, but I'm not familiar with them.

I believe the statute of limitations for the OP is 4 years after they turn 21....isn't it? I'm not a lawyer so I defer to them for that one.

As for Klebsiella......different klebsiella bacteria are resistant to different antibiotics....usually they won't even wait for the culture to return before starting the patient on a broad spectrum antibiotic then will adjust or change the antibiotic to a cephalosporin or quinolones after the culture and sensitivities come back.

lynnbb

hazeysky said:
Are you on Drugs??? Come on now! Are you grasping at straws in an attempt to sue someone?? Anyone who you can financially benefit from?? Do you live in the real world??
from your post, many would wonder******************************************.wow..
hazeysky: How DARE YOU take that tone with me!

I asked a legitimate question, seeking serious answers

for the record:

I have NEVER done drugs, nor do I smoke or drink (except for a few cups of wine at Passover)

- I was 7 or 8 (I'm 50 now; I'll let your little drug-addled brain try to do the math)
- allergic to penicillin
- suffered from a series of hearing-threatening ear infections which contihued into my 30's
- I HAVE tried several whitening procedures, which have NOT worked

so if some DECENT person could help me out here....

rmet4nzkx

Your statute of limitaitons has long since run out. We have a member named Barry who may be able to tell you your options.

Country Living

I know what you're going through. I used to only smile with my hand over my mouth or look down when I laughed. I inherited crappy teeth from my parents and it never crossed my mind to sue them. I was so embarrassed by my unsightly teeth I started putting crowns on them as my first purchase with my first job. When I got my first crowns it opened a whole new world for me.

I had a friend who had stained teeth from tetracycline. She had her teeth bonded and they looked fabulous.

Crooked teeth get braces. Unslightly or damaged teeth get bonded or crowned. I always thought this was the natural order of things.

If you can't afford it, try the local dental school.

B

butterscotch

Product liability

There are many well known international law firms that have information about the damages you describe due to tetracycline. They may be able to answer your additional questions without the heckling.

Rmet is a reliable person for advice.

lynnbb

thanks all

:D

btw - tried to find barry, but "Sorry! The administrator has disabled the list of members."

can someone put us in touch with one another?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">