• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Topical Product: severe reaction in TX

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

haveaclaim?

I live in Texas.

Last week I used the topical product "Kalo" hair growth inhibitor. It claims it is derived from plants and that it "gently soothes skin" while permanently reducing hair. They say there are no chemicals used at all. You are to wax, tweeze, epilate or shave - then apply kalo. So I waxed and applied Kalo as directed. My skin was burned severely!!!!! I have taken pictures almost daily of my bright red skin. It even bled in places. People say I look like a burn victim. I was so worried that I got on the company's website to take a look at their forum to see what other people were saying about the product. I found a post from a kalo employee stating that they have an "extra strength" version that is not advertised and can only be ordered directly that can cause a "severe reaction". Kalo specifically claims that it does not produce redness or irritation and, in fact, gently soothes skin. There were absolutely no warnings....and it didn't soothe my skin at all. Now I am in pain and look like a scalding blister. I'm not sure what I should do, but I don't feel that their claims are correct or ethical. It could potentially hurt more people in the future. I can't even imagine the "extra strength". Do I have any sort of case at all?What is the name of your state?

rachel4

haveaclaim? said:
I live in Texas.

Last week I used the topical product "Kalo" hair growth inhibitor. It claims it is derived from plants and that it "gently soothes skin" while permanently reducing hair. They say there are no chemicals used at all. You are to wax, tweeze, epilate or shave - then apply kalo. So I waxed and applied Kalo as directed. My skin was burned severely!!!!! I have taken pictures almost daily of my bright red skin. It even bled in places. People say I look like a burn victim. I was so worried that I got on the company's website to take a look at their forum to see what other people were saying about the product. I found a post from a kalo employee stating that they have an "extra strength" version that is not advertised and can only be ordered directly that can cause a "severe reaction". Kalo specifically claims that it does not produce redness or irritation and, in fact, gently soothes skin. There were absolutely no warnings....and it didn't soothe my skin at all. Now I am in pain and look like a scalding blister. I'm not sure what I should do, but I don't feel that their claims are correct or ethical. It could potentially hurt more people in the future. I can't even imagine the "extra strength". Do I have any sort of case at all?What is the name of your state?

Hmmm...sounds to me like maybe you rec'd the "extra strength" version somehow...or, you have a severe allergy to ingredients, or have very hypersensitive skin. You should see a dermatologist ASAP:(
rachel

fairisfair

I would be willing to be that they suggest that you test on a small area first before using?
Even plant and all natural products contain allergens.

haveaclaim?

Maybe I did receive the extra strength - the bottle doesn't say it, but possibly....I've never had sensitive skin or any allergies, so this is all very new to me!!! The instructions (or anywhere else for that matter) do not state to test on a small area first.....or at least the one I received did not. I figured since it was chemical-free and it was supposed to be 100% natural and that there were no warnings, that it was safe to use. It has been one week today and it is starting to heal, but is still very prominent. If it does not significantly improve over the weekend, I am going to a dermatologist next week. I really hope someone else does not have to go throught this - it is extremely disturbing. Thank you for your input - I appreciate any and all advice!!!

fairisfair

haveaclaim? said:
Maybe I did receive the extra strength - the bottle doesn't say it, but possibly....I've never had sensitive skin or any allergies, so this is all very new to me!!! The instructions (or anywhere else for that matter) do not state to test on a small area first.....or at least the one I received did not. I figured since it was chemical-free and it was supposed to be 100% natural and that there were no warnings, that it was safe to use. It has been one week today and it is starting to heal, but is still very prominent. If it does not significantly improve over the weekend, I am going to a dermatologist next week. I really hope someone else does not have to go throught this - it is extremely disturbing. Thank you for your input - I appreciate any and all advice!!!
poison ivy is chemical free and 100% natural too. Ouch, obviously you are sensitive to something in the product. I doubt that you have a case against the manufacturer, but I would definitely do a test patch any time I used a new product in the future.

loveumms

Agree with seeing a dermatologist as soon as possible - to at least get piece of mind.

I looked at some websites for this product and it states:

For external use only. Keep out of reach of children. Avoid direct contact with eyes. If contact occurs, flush well with cold water. If any sensitivity or allergic reactions arise, discontinue use immediately.

This product may retard hair growth permanently. Not for ophthalmic, oral or intra vaginal use.

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.

This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

For external use only. Not recommended for use on ears or in nose.

You should call the company and report your experience but you are unlikely to get anything besides maybe a refund. I really hope you didn't pay $50 for this product - just for your own knowledge, these hair growth inhibitor products do NOT work. The only product that has been proven to work in clinical trials in Vaniqa which is available only by prescription and is effective in about 50% of women who use it.

fairisfair

loveumms said:
Agree with seeing a dermatologist as soon as possible - to at least get piece of mind.

I looked at some websites for this product and it states:

For external use only. Keep out of reach of children. Avoid direct contact with eyes. If contact occurs, flush well with cold water. If any sensitivity or allergic reactions arise, discontinue use immediately.

This product may retard hair growth permanently. Not for ophthalmic, oral or intra vaginal use.

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.

This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

For external use only. Not recommended for use on ears or in nose.

You should call the company and report your experience but you are unlikely to get anything besides maybe a refund. I really hope you didn't pay $50 for this product - just for your own knowledge, these hair growth inhibitor products do NOT work. The only product that has been proven to work in clinical trials in Vaniqa which is available only by prescription and is effective in about 50% of women who use it.
Hopefully, by now she is all healed up, this post is over 2 weeks old.

haveaclaim?

Well, it's almost been 3 weeks since I used the Kalo, and I am pretty much healed up. The skin is still slightly red where the product was applied, but there are no open abrasions. I had to apply anitbiotic ointment and keep the area clean. Thank you to all of you for your advice and input - I really appreciate it very much!

ellencee

haveaclaim? said:
I live in Texas.

Did you read/pay attention the waxing product? Most, if not all, waxing instructions state do NOT APPLY anything but X-brand moisturizer to your skin for 24 hours. Products such as Kalo have instructions to test the product on a small area of your skin to first ascertain if you can use the product. Common sense should prevent someone from waxing a large area and immediately applying any product to the waxed area.

Maybe there really is a need for the warning on the toy superman cape telling the purchaser the cape will not really make you fly.

EC

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">