• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using a 240v outlet with converter to run a 120v appliance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ed Valentine

have a customer who wants to run his carpet cleaning machine (120v) off a dryer outlet (240v) using a converter. I advised him not to because of possible liabilities. May I ask what some of these liabilities might be so as I can convey this information to him?

Thank you

justalayman

If done properly, there is absolutely no danger in this.

Can you explain the situation. You say he is a customer. Why is a customer of yours wanting to do what was asked about? What sort of business is this that you have customers?

Kiawah

I think the right technical answer is.....it depends!

A dryer outlet is 240V, and typically fused at 30 Amps. That 240V is actually both phases, or (2) 120 volt circuits, which since they are both phases gives you 240 across the two power legs. (power leg A - - - NEUTRAL - - - power leg B)

If the converter uses one of those 120 volt circuits to ground, it would give exactly the 120 VOLTS needed. However the one problem might be it's amperage capacity. Since it is most likely fused at 30 amps, it will not trip unless more than 30 amps is drawn.

A typical 120 volt circuit is fused at either 15 or 20amp, and therefore the cords to those devices would be rated most likely at 20 amps. Since you are plugging that device into a 30 amp fused dryer circuit, the situation could exist where the device has a short and wants to draw 25 amps (anything more than the 20 amps the cord can handle, but less than the 30 amp which would trip the breaker. If it did this while plugged into a normal 120V circuit, the fuse would trip and prevent a fire. While plugged into 30Amp outlet, the cord could overheat and burn up.

Now if this converter plug you are mentioning has a built in fuse that trips at 20Amps (as opposed to the 30Amps the dryer circuit is most likely fused at) then I would not be concerned. If it has no internal fuse, then there is 'potentially' a fire risk, if the device has a failure.

Last edited:

swalsh411

Where can I get an extension cord adaptor that has the "male" prongs both ends? I hung my lights up backwards this year and had to re-do them. I figure next year if I make the same mistake I can just use an adapter.

FlyingRon

It is ILLEGAL and UNSAFE to run one leg of 120V to the EQUIPMENT GROUND. If there is a grounded conductor (neutral) you can connect it there. Unfortunatley many older homes are grandfathered in to allow dryers and ranges to not have a grounded conductor (neutral), i.e., a "three wire" hookup for those appliances.

Kiawah

Ron....correct,

I wrote ground, and it should have been 'neutral'. I corrected the original post.

justalayman

And just for the info, the third wire that is there is in fact a grounded conductor (neutral). There is no equipment ground on the 3 wire system.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">