• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Ventless" Gas Fireplaces

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cherleadford

TEXAS

Not being aware of the dangers a "ventless" fireplace could pose, my husband and I bought a ventless gas fireplace last winter. Our house suffered so much moisture, that large amounts of mildew collected on ourwalls and around the wood on our windows. We also spent several trips to the doctor with upper respority infections. There was no warning on the manufactures box about the dangers of mold and mildew and the health problems such a firplace can pose. We do not have centrl heat and air in our home. So this fireplace was to be a main source of heat.
We are senior citizens and cannot afford to spend this kind of money for a product and not be able to use it.
We had to turn off the fireplace and heat with an electric heater for the rest oif the winter. Is there any way I can have the store ot the manufacture take this back and refund our money or even replace it with an electric fire place?
Cheryl Leadford

JETX

cherleadford said:
Is there any way I can have the store ot the manufacture take this back and refund our money or even replace it with an electric fire place?
Of course there is. Simply ask them to. However, if they refuse, then you will have to be able to PROVE that the problems you describe are SOLELY a result of some failure or fault of their product. What evidence do you have to prove that??

cherleadford

Ventless Fireplace

TEXAS

I have pictures I took of all the mold and mildew, also witnesses who saw same. A plumber told me that there was to much humidity in the house from the fireplace unit. Also medical bills from my doctor who treated us

Thank you.
Cheryl

JETX

cherleadford said:
I have pictures I took of all the mold and mildew, also witnesses who saw same.
Sorry, but the mere existing of pictures of mold/mildew, even with witnesses doesn't PROVE that the 'flueless fireplace' is at fault.

A plumber told me that there was to much humidity in the house from the fireplace unit.
Of course, mold/mildew is CAUSED by too much humidity. However, what are HIS 'credentials' supporting his expert knowledge that the fireplace unit is the CAUSE of this mold/mildew???

Also medical bills from my doctor who treated us
Same problem.

Yes, you can show (pictures, testimony) of mold/mildew. And yes, you can have a doctor testify that your illness(es) were due to mold/mildew (if he can/will). However, that doesn't PROVE the cause/source of the problem.

Simply, installing a 'flueless fireplace' in a house will not increase the interior humidity... unless you did something else (closed vents, sealed house, had moisture leak/source, etc.).

HappyHusband

cherleadford said:
TEXAS

Not being aware of the dangers a "ventless" fireplace could pose, my husband and I bought a ventless gas fireplace last winter. Our house suffered so much moisture, that large amounts of mildew collected on ourwalls and around the wood on our windows. We also spent several trips to the doctor with upper respority infections. There was no warning on the manufactures box about the dangers of mold and mildew and the health problems such a firplace can pose. We do not have centrl heat and air in our home. So this fireplace was to be a main source of heat.
We are senior citizens and cannot afford to spend this kind of money for a product and not be able to use it.
We had to turn off the fireplace and heat with an electric heater for the rest oif the winter. Is there any way I can have the store ot the manufacture take this back and refund our money or even replace it with an electric fire place?
Cheryl Leadford
Does the fireplace use natural gas or propane?

HappyHusband

JETX said:
And what, praytell, does that have to do with ANYTHING???
When natural gas is burned, water vapor is one of the byproducts, and if it is not vented to the outside then the humidity inside the house will increase. A gas fireplace uses alot of fuel and alot of water vapor is introduced into the house. Which is why the ventless natural gas fireplace has a warning on it to use only in a "well ventilated" area.
A propane fireplace would have the same warning, but would not produce water vapor, and would therefore not be the source of the humidity problem.

JETX

HappyHusband said:
A propane fireplace would have the same warning, but would not produce water vapor, and would therefore not be the source of the humidity problem.
Sorry, but you need to go back to chemistry.

"When Propane is burned it forms water and carbon dioxide."
http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/211.fall2000.web.projects/J. Jones and T. Kenny/Propellants.htm

"When propane is burned, one of the byproducts is water vapor, which contributes to excessive humidity and condensation inside the camper."
http://www.earthroamer.com/main_truck/vehicle_5systems.html

"When propane is burned, it releases combustion byproducts and one of those byproducts is a surprisingly large quantity of water vapor! "
http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/skp/survive.htm

Etc.

HappyHusband

JETX said:
Sorry, but you need to go back to chemistry.
For your information, I took Chemistry 102 three times in college!

JETX said:
["When Propane is burned it forms water and carbon dioxide."
http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/211.fall2000.web.projects/J. Jones and T. Kenny/Propellants.htm

"When propane is burned, one of the byproducts is water vapor, which contributes to excessive humidity and condensation inside the camper."
http://www.earthroamer.com/main_truck/vehicle_5systems.html

"When propane is burned, it releases combustion byproducts and one of those byproducts is a surprisingly large quantity of water vapor! "
http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/skp/survive.htm

Etc.
Dang, according to them sites and others, propane actually produces twice as much water vapor than natural gas! I stand corrected.

Mrs. Leadford, save your health, switch to electric heat. Besides, gas prices are going to be sky high this winter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">