• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warranty Not being accepted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vinoth

What is the name of your state? New jersey

I bought used toyota corolla from a dealer. The car started giving me problems right from the next day and not in a position to drive. I have spent close to $2000 after the purchase and still wont work. Some problem keeps creeping in. I took the car back to dealer but he said i had accepted to take the car "as is' and hence wont repair it. I have signed one document in the paper work agreeing to take it as is. But never knew it nor did the dealer mention it. The car has the buyers guide which said 'full warranty' for 30 days or 6000 miles. but now the dealer says that buyers guide is not valid without his signature ( I dont see a place in that guide to sign) and that the ' As is' document would over ride the buyers guide. But I browsed the Federal trade commision , and they say that buyers guide over ride any other document signed . I have spent close to $9000 on the car that wont run.

Can any one please advice , if I have a valid case to small claims or that i have to resign to my fate for having signed the 'As is' document?

Regards
John

JETX

if I have a valid case to small claims or that i have to resign to my fate for having signed the 'As is' document?
Of course you can file a lawsuit in small claims, but if they show up with that 'as is' document with your signature on it, you are DOA.

Betty

The FTC's used car rule requires dealers to post a buyer's guide in every used car they offer for sale. If the buyer's guide says the car comes with a warranty & the contract says the car is sold "as is" - the dealer must give you the warranty described in the guide. When a dealer offers a car "as is", the box next to "as is - no warranty" disclosure on the buyer's guide must be checked. (Was it on your buyer's guide?) NJ is one state that does not allow many used cars to be sold "as is."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">