• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wiring Defect caused house fire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

z127238

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? TX
Last year my family was displaced by a fire in our home. THe house was built new, last year. We moved in on Feb. 27, 2004. The fire occurred Sept. 2004. Our insurance companies investigation team determined that the electrical wiring had a defect. The home is currently be rebuilt. My question is after the insurance company recover the cost to rebuild our home, do we have any rights to go after that same company for any damages cause by the displacment that was not covered by the insurance. For example, the fire department and the reconstruction company has damaged my new lawn (the lawn was put in place around August 2004), the new warranties for all the new appliances have sat unused during the time we've been away and have now expired. Plus, the living conditions have been drastically changed (the house was over 5,000 sqft, the apartment is less that 1,500 sqft) for my wife, two daughters and a relative. Thanks for your reponse.

Robert
[email protected]

Lynx 36

z127238 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? TX
Last year my family was displaced by a fire in our home. THe house was built new, last year. We moved in on Feb. 27, 2004. The fire occurred Sept. 2004. Our insurance companies investigation team determined that the electrical wiring had a defect. The home is currently be rebuilt. My question is after the insurance company recover the cost to rebuild our home, do we have any rights to go after that same company for any damages cause by the displacment that was not covered by the insurance. For example, the fire department and the reconstruction company has damaged my new lawn (the lawn was put in place around August 2004), the new warranties for all the new appliances have sat unused during the time we've been away and have now expired. Plus, the living conditions have been drastically changed (the house was over 5,000 sqft, the apartment is less that 1,500 sqft) for my wife, two daughters and a relative. Thanks for your reponse.

Robert
[email protected]
No. The fire dept. came to put the fire out and the construction co. had to be there to re-build your house. Fire dept.'s can cause lot's of damage to a property trying to get a fire under control. If the fire dept. had to worry about damage to a lawn or something else when putting out a fire then they would quit being in the business and let the places burn. Or raise the hell out of our taxes to pay f/ damage. Get real! They aren't liable f/ damage to your lawn. To even think so is moronic. Your insurance co. should fix your lawn when the construction has completed. If construction co.'s were made to fix lawns when they re-built or remodeled a house they would decline the job in the first place. My lawn was messed up on some remodeling I recently had done. I expected that considering what they had to do. I'm repairing the lawn myself.

As far as your warranties go I seriously doubt you would be able to do anything about it or would even want to. A court can't force the maufacturer's to extend them as they did nothing wrong. You would have to try and get the at-fault co. to handle the warranties and good luck w/ that. It would be hard to do. Think about how much it would cost to get an atty to start litigation. It's in the thousands. Lastly, you need to check w/ your insurance co. to see what they are seeking reimbursement on. If you sue you take away your insurance co.'s right to sue and vice versa. It's called double jeopardy. Don't step on your insurance co.'s toes or your rates will shoot up if they can't recoup damages b/c you started sueing. Sit back and let your insurance co. handle everything and let them worry about the lawsuits and litigation. After all this is why you have insurance in the first place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">